Qualifying for the state pension - requirements

also the immigrant council of ireland will have alot to say as the current system is actually very beneficial to immigrants although i would say that very few have actually reached pension age yet so have not benefited from this anomoly.
But the current system is unsustainable, at least this measure will make the pension system fair, at least this is better than means testing the pension and denying someone that has made 40 years of contributions a full state pension. There are alot of difficult decisions for politicians to make in the next decade
Not sure the Immigrant Council would have a valid case. Why should someone with only 10 years contributions get a full pension when someone with say 30 years contributions ( over say a 40 year record) get a lower pension? Equality works both ways.

So as it stands now once I hit the 2080 PRSI contributions (40 full years) I could technically stop paying PRSI at age 56 and receive a full state pension at 68 ??

So as it stands now once I hit the 2080 PRSI contributions (40 full years) I could technically stop paying PRSI at age 56 and receive a full state pension at 68 ??

That's what I was thinking. Can you instruct your employer to stop deducting prsi ?

You could technically move employment to NI/Britain at 56 and build up partial state pension entitlements there, while keeping full Irish entitlements (assuming the total contribution approach comes into effect here in the meantime). You would have to be prompt as I think 10 years is the minimum contribution period under the new UK rules and the pension age is moving to 67 within the next decade.

. The Homemaker credits have been changed more recently so that those out of the workforce minding children can now get credits for years prior to 1994.
I can't find any current information about the extension of the Homemaker credits to years prior to 1994. Is it still to be enacted?

The credits for years prior to 1994 is called “Home Caring Periods Scheme”. Check on Welfare.ie or Citizens Information websites.

The credits for years prior to 1994 is called “Home Caring Periods Scheme”. Check on Welfare.ie or Citizens Information websites.
Thank you for the information - I was initially finding only the the original 1994 scheme.
Under this new version, does a person have to have 520 PAID full contributions before the credits are allowed in the calculation? If a person has 300+ Class D payments, has 120 Class A plus 19 years of Home Caring credits, is there a chance they will qualify for a reduced contributory pension? As this person is almost 65 now and hasn't worked for 8 years, I'm assuming they cannot now pay voluntary contributions to satisfy the need to have 520 paid contributions?

Back