Key Post Pyrite in Foundations leading to cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I removed some of the infill and sent it for testing. Got the preliminary results today. It's full of pyrite and iron oxide, swelling has started. All the infill has to be removed. Not great.

Sorry folks

I had deleted this thread for review as it contained some potentially defamatory material and I forgot to restore it.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Good to see our insurance company is looking at this page. Will my comments be restored if they are not found to be defamatory?

Well folks good news. Premier have started repairing houses and from what I am hearing they are doing the work to perfection. They obviously do not want to be revisiting this issue again. Make sure your paperwork is correct and it should be plain sailing. Some houses may not be showing enough evidence of problems associated with pyrite but be patient. Get the advice from your engineer or post a question here and I will try to answer.

Application for house insurance declined

I live in Drynam Hall which is affected by pyrite, had no problem last year insuring my house (building and contents), even when I disclosed about pyrite, but this year is different story, have been turned down by 6 of them.

Anyone in similar position?

I live in Drynam Hall which is affected by pyrite, had no problem last year insuring my house (building and contents), even when I disclosed about pyrite, but this year is different story, have been turned down by 6 of them.

Anyone in similar position?

Have you been refused insurance by your current provider? Have they explained why they will not renew? I haven't had this problem with Hibernian Aviva and my policy was recently renewed.

Thx I'll try Hibernian Aviva. The 7 I did try all had the same response. I am covered under zurich through 123 (broker) until 20th april, but 123 have new underwriter and when I rang to confirm they had the existence of pyrite written into my policy, they then said that their new underwriter is very particular and wouldn't insure the house due to pyrite. As did zurich when I contacted them directly, and the 5 others!

What I'm picking up is that they are being very picky who they insure this year due to amount of claims last year, floods I think.

Pyrite in Balbriggan

Hi I own a house in Balbriggan, Co Dublin and it is suspected to have pyrite. The builder has told me we have it but he has not done a test as yet to prove this, but we have all the symptoms. HomeBond are involved but I am assuming it is gona take some time! The house is only 5 years and it almost falling down around our ears. Some of the cracks are big enough to fit my hand through and others a big enough to fit a finger in. My stairs are coming away from the wall and I have two smal children under 3. This is an extememly stressful and dangerous situation. My daughter is having nightmares about the cracks and monsters coming through them. I hope the builder gets this sorted

Last edited by a moderator:
The government/ombudsman should be involved and using their power to resolve all these issues for unfortunate homeowners.Its about time a nationwide pyrite lobby group was formed.

I Agree. We homeowners buy a house in good faith and are then left to deal with the shoddy workmanship. I rang my home insurance agency and asked about claim for loss of tiles, wooden floors etc and was told no can do due to the fact that it is down to "Shoddy Workmanship" which is not covered under the insurance. I am really seriously ticked off. I'm mean for goodness sake. The regular "Joe Soaps" of this country seem to be getting hit in every way possible financially. When is someone gona stand up on our behalf and back us when it is really needed.

This sounds like a problem house. You must get an independent engineer to report on your house and pursue both Homebond and the Developer.
It is likely that Homebond will have a limit of liability, meaning that the developer will have to make up the shortfall. See previous threads in this matter.

Hi I own a house in Balbriggan, Co Dublin and it is suspected to have pyrite. The builder has told me we have it but he has not done a test as yet to prove this, but we have all the symptoms. HomeBond are involved but I am assuming it is gona take some time! The house is only 5 years and it almost falling down around our ears. Some of the cracks are big enough to fit my hand through and others a big enough to fit a finger in. My stairs are coming away from the wall and I have two smal children under 3. This is an extememly stressful and dangerous situation. My daughter is having nightmares about the cracks and monsters coming through them. I hope the builder gets this sorted

General House insurance never covers for defective materials or workmanship. That is why there are Structural Guarantee policies.

I Agree. We homeowners buy a house in good faith and are then left to deal with the shoddy workmanship. I rang my home insurance agency and asked about claim for loss of tiles, wooden floors etc and was told no can do due to the fact that it is down to "Shoddy Workmanship" which is not covered under the insurance. I am really seriously ticked off. I'm mean for goodness sake. The regular "Joe Soaps" of this country seem to be getting hit in every way possible financially. When is someone gona stand up on our behalf and back us when it is really needed.

Hi, does Premier give you a new 10 year homebond after getting the pyrite removed? We are getting ours done in next couple weeks, hassle moving etc but has to be done. Looks Like we will get no compensation for it either as builders gone bust

Pyrite test

<Content removed by mod, please post in the correct forum>

Last edited by a moderator:
<Content removed by mod, please post in the correct forum>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back