Putting parent on mortgage and title deeds

Art

I have been told by my mortgage broker that the only way possible I can get a mortgage is for my father to go on the mortgage as well as on the deeds. This is non negotiable if I want to get the required mortgage and this is the only institution prepared to give me a mortgage on any basis. The house will be my principal private residence in about 1 year's time when I move back to Dublin and I plan to live there for at least 5 years. I plan to rent it for the next 6-12 months.

My concerns are as follows:

Firstly if my father dies, will I be liable for CAT for his half of the property - we have agreed that he will leave it only to me. His other assets would already push me over the CAT threshold of 450k

Secondly if I was to sell on the property while my father was still alive would he be liable for CGT on his half of the gain.

My father will be making no contribution to the house in any shape or form apart from allowing his name to go on the deeds. Also I don't want to get my father to "sell" it to me in a year or two's time because I will incur a stamp duty charge and he will most likely incur a CGT liability

Any thoughts/advice on this would be appreciated......

I was in a similar position... making full repayments etc. Broker could only get me mortgage with parent's name on deeds....

I applied directly with my local AIB and explained what I was looking for with only my name on deeds. They agreed to to this with parent's name only on mortgage! They offered a mortgage of 5K less but think it was worth it to avoid possible problems with tax etc when I can afford to take it over.

Back