putting in central heating and having pipes under the floor.

NOAH

what type of pipes are best for going under the floor for central heating eg is it copper or some kind of plastic? And what depth should they be at? I keep getting conflicting answers. My idea was to lay pipes that had no join and then join at rads. I am worried in case I get a leak down the road.

noah

be hard to have pipes that have zero joins at all as you can't use any branching, right angles turns etc etc

If you use a "Qualpex" barrier pipe or similar you can keep joints to a minimum. If using compression fittings with pipe support insert some plumbers will use a smear of jointing compound (boss white ) to ensure a leak free job. However there are new technologies available which make plumbing easy for the competent DIYer, such as Polyplumb, Hepworth, Acorn etc. These pipe systems use plastic push-fit fittings which require no special tools for manipulation. They cut down on labour and are almost guaranteed leak free, provided you follow the manufacturer's instructions. I'd be inclined to use plastic if burying in concrete, direct contact between copper/ brass and concrete is not recommended as corossion can result over time. However any pipework within 1m or so of a hot water storage vessel or boiler must be copper, no plastic allowed for obvious reasons. Also where making connections with your rads I'd use an elbow and run the feed and return tails in copper, looks neater and more professional.

You would need a minimum of 50mm cover over the pipework and any insulation to avoid cracking of the screed later.

Back