Public buildings IP use for graphic illustration...

Myuser01

I'm looking to create a graphic image that I can print on t-shirts and other accessories.

I want the image to include an outline of either the berwick fountain in Cork city on grand parade. Or else the English market on Grand Parade.

Both are owned by the council and so I'm guessing are public property. I also want to use the term 'English Market' in the text of the image.

What's the story with IP for my situation? Am I allowed do this or not? Can't seem to contact the council for some reason. Can't get through.

You are asking about Freedom of Panorama, which is an exception to copyright law. This gives the public in some countries the right to republish pictures of buildings and artworks found in public spaces. Ireland is generally taken to follow the UK law on this (I believe the Irish legislation is a copy-and-paste job of the British).

@Myuser01 I can't believe you tried contacting the council before 8:24 am. IME you'd probably have better luck trying them after 9:30 am. As a vlogger and web-site critic I'm surprised you don't know about this publication https://www.jipitec.eu/issues/jipitec-8-4-2017/4639/?searchterm=None.

The scope of the law is international, EU-wide in our case but some countries have exceptions. The internet is your friend, searching it can prove helpful.

Back