PRSI Treatment Benefit, dependent spouse income limit

Gordanus

my mother has just been turned down for a 2nd hearing aid (she needs two - and they cost about 900 each) because under the Dependent Spouse scheme, her income is above 79.14 per week!!!!!!!!!! Jeez! Do they expect a couple to live on 79.14 a week?? I'm outraged but that seems to be the rule, so unappealable.

Re: mad income limit

Gordanus said:
my mother has just been turned down for a 2nd hearing aid (she needs two - and they cost about 900 each) because under the Dependent Spouse scheme
I presume you mean the Dependent Spouse section of the PRSI Treatment Benefit Scheme?
her income is above 79.14 per week!!!!!!!!!! Jeez! Do they expect a couple to live on 79.14 a week??
Not necessarily. What is the total income of the household?

That's the reason given on the rejection letter. Will investigate it further, but it seems very low.

My point is that the rule simply stipulates that the dependent spouse cannot earn more than €79.14 p.w. in order to qualify. Presumably they don't expect the couple to live on this amount on the basis that the other spouse may have additional income/means.

Just found it:
--------------------------------------------
You will be considered a dependent spouse if:

you are dependent on your spouse;
you have a gross income of 76.18 euro or less per week;
your income exceeds 76.18 euro per week and you were dependent on your spouse before entering or resuming insurable employment (at Class A, E, H or P);
you are not getting a social welfare payment (except Disablement Pension, Supplementary Welfare Allowance, or Child Benefit);
you are getting a Carer's Allowance or Old Age (Non-Contributory) Pension in your own right and were dependent on your spouse immediately before receiving Carer's Allowance or Old Age (Non-Contributory) Pension.
-----------------------------------
These are the only grounds. I do find this all a morass of clauses and subclauses. I'm going to see if she'll qualify under some other scheme....

Back