PRSI Stamps - Dental Benefit

deco87

Hi all
I have been denied treatment benefits for an upcoming dental visit -

I was not too sure and didn't think I was entitled to it -
From googling , I'm still a little confused-

I have a certain amount - please see attachment - the " qualifying year " has me a bit puzzled-
Paying A , stamp and credit - since March 2020 , when I started working after 35 years in public service -
I wonder am I right I thinking - this time next year I may have sufficient stamps to cover basic dental visit

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2728.jpeg
    IMG_2728.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 28
There should be 2 qualifying criteria.
A total number of contributions paid at the full rate AND a certain number in the qualifying year.
after 35 years in public service
From this I suspect that during this period you paid the reduced rate so the total number is catching you firstly
This is 5 years worth (260) full rate contributions

Last edited:
You have 201 Prsi contributions and assuming that you have 52 for 2022 you should have reached the 260 qualification level 7 weeks into 2023. If your dental treatment was for before the first 7 weeks of 2023 you would not qualify. If it was after the first 7 weeks of 2023 you should qualify. Social Welfare might not have details of your 2022 and 2023 contributions yet. You could contact them with details of your recent contributions.

You have 201 Prsi contributions and assuming that you have 52 for 2022 you should have reached the 260 qualification level 7 weeks into 2023. If your dental treatment was for before the first 7 weeks of 2023 you would not qualify. If it was after the first 7 weeks of 2023 you should qualify. Social Welfare might not have details of your 2022 and 2023 contributions yet. You could contact them with details of your recent contributions.

Not so I'm afraid. You can only have 52 weeks' reckonable PRSI contributions in any year.
From his attachment, he has 104 reckonable contributions (the maximum) for 2020 and 2021.
Assume that he has another 52 for 2022 and that gives him 156.
But he needs 260. So two more full years of Class A contributions (2023 and 2024) will be required before he becomes eligible for the benefit - in 2025.

The attachment states total contributions 201. The quoted years are the governing years. 2022 is not a governing year and it is therefore unclear if contributions for 2022 are included in the stated total of 201. Either way the poster will qualify at the latest during 2024.

Last edited:
The attachment states total contributions 201. The quoted years are the governing years. 2022 is not a governing year and it is therefore unclear if contributions for 2022 are included in the stated total of 201. Either way the poster will qualify at the latest during 2024.

Indeed.

But it's poorlyy worded and doesn't clarify whether all of those the contributions were paid at the full rate and hence are reckonable, or not.
Given that the OP states that he has only being paying Class A PRSI since March 2020, it's hard to see how he could have accumulated 201 reckonable contributions in three years!

He probably has pre establishment contributions. I would imagine that the 201 are full rate paid otherwise the total would be much larger if modified contributions were included. It's poorly worded alright.

Back