PRSA / SSIA for part-time nurse

BlueSpud

My wife is a part-time nurse, working one day per week, and pays tax at the low rate. Her SSIA has matured & I was wondering if it makes sence to put the 7.5k into a PRSA. She does not have a pension in her own right, other than the nurses pension. I have a pension & I pay tax at 42%.

If it makes sence, any suggestions about who we should go with?

Blue,

well I suppose you could say the simple answer is yes as the Government are offering € 1 for every € 3 invested up to a Govt max of € 2,500 plus tax rebate on maturity of SSIA as well. Like the SSIA it is free money.

However, going into it in a litte more detail, you need to look at the bigger picture. Find out a litte more about your wifes existing nurse pension. Get projections. Its more about deciding what you and your wifes long term goals. For example, if your pension is good enough to provide for you both in retirement, prehaps a bit of diverification may be the route. Look at other investment options. There are many out there.

As someone working in the industry, try to get the advice of an independent broker and ask him/her to set out your best options having analysed your financial needs through a factfind. Ask for the pros and cons in simple terms from the broker and the costs to you through commissions etc taken by the life companies.

Ken.

Back