"Provisionaly Booked" holiday - our rights?

T

tsc

Hello

My wife provisionaly booked a holiday today over the phone with a travel agent. She gave her laser details to hold booking beieving that the 'worst' case scenario would be a €100 loss of deposit. She was a bit unhappy with some of the answers etc. in relation to kids facilities and discussed it with me on my return. She rang them back within an hour to be told that it would actually cost us €500 + to cancel. Now we admit that she rushed into it and shouldn't have booked if she wasn't 100% happy...but she did. Has anyone come across a similar situation. We will most likely go on the holiday in August and enjoy it greatly....but it's just when someone tells you that you now owe them 5 times what they believed of your money then my blood slightly boils. €100 seems fair for our mistake (we can put that down to experience), €500+ for a call back within an hour seems ridiculous.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Regards

Can you access a copy of the terms & conditions of the booking agreement (e.g. online) to see what rules apply to cancellation? Regardless of these if you were not apprised of the terms & conditions of the booking, were told that €100 would be the maximum amount forfeited but are now being told that it's €500 then that would seem misleading and you should complain and, if necessary, talk to the NCA, ITAA (if the agent is a member) and/or the Small Claims Court if it comes to it.

If all comes to all and you need to pay either amount check to see if you can transfer it to another more appropriate holiday. Quite a lot of travel agents allow this.

Back