Property taxes

MrUpward

Hello everyone,

I’m an american and I’ve been considering buying a holiday home in a rural area of Westmeath. The overall process seems to look comparable to buying a property in the US. However, I cannot seem to find clear information on how property taxes work and what or how much could be expected for property taxes. Does anyone have any insight or could anyone point me in the right direction for a source?

Hello everyone,

I’m an american and I’ve been considering buying a holiday home in a rural area of Westmeath. The overall process seems to look comparable to buying a property in the US. However, I cannot seem to find clear information on how property taxes work and what or how much could be expected for property taxes. Does anyone have any insight or could anyone point me in the right direction for a source?

If you’re confused by Local Property Tax (LPT) in Ireland it’s probably because it’s so low?

I pay LPT on two houses for less than €1k per annum.
My sister in Miami pays $35k for her home.

Do you have a property in mind, and if so, how much is it? The LPT will be based on its 2014 valuation, which is probably much the same as the asking price.

So, if the house costs €325,000, it falls into
Valuation Band No 06, €300,001-350,000.
That is €585 per annum. See table:

Westmeath County Council do not apply a Local Adjustment Factor, therefore you’re annual charge should be €585 per annum.

Yes... it is that low!

Last edited:
Do you have a property in mind, and if so, how much is it? The LPT will be based on its 2014 valuation, which is probably much the same as the asking price.

So, if the house costs €325,000, it falls into
Valuation Band No 06, €300,001-350,000.
That is €585 per annum. See table:

Westmeath County Council do not apply a Local Adjustment Factor, therefore you’re annual charge should be €585 per annum.

Yes... it is that low!
I just moved to the West of Ireland from the U.S. If you were to compare apples to apples, owning a house in Ireland costs less. Property taxes, homeowners insurance and mortgage rates are all lower.

This is going to sound ridiculous until you remember that I’m an american. Is there any kind of special tax levied on older period properties like ruined country houses and castles?

Back