Property Tax

Purple

I am one of the people who, through no great foresight on my part, managed to amass assets worth hundreds of thousands of Euro by being able to pay my first home when I was 23, 2 years out of an apprenticeship. That simply could not happen now. That means that I am part of the capital owning class who are massively advantaged in our country. It is utterly unconscionable to me that people in my position should not pay property tax.

Property tax reduced the value of housing so it makes it more affordable for first time buyers.
It provides income for the State to use for social housing, as domestic rates were used from the 1950's to the 1970's and it broadens the tax base so we are not taxing wealth creation but rather wealth retention. I simply do not understand how people with small or no mortgages can be so myopic and selfish that they think they should not pay some tax on an asset that they did nothing to grow. It would be quite easy to have a situation where mortgage interest paid by current mortgage holders could be offset against the tax so that those who bought recently were protected.

How is it that so-called left wing parties can be against such a tax? Instead they target high earners, as if they were the ones with the spare cash, when the real distinction is between those who bought before the last boom and those who bought since.

The average new mortgage in Ireland is €230,000 which means repayments of about €1100 a month. You have to earn about extra €27,500 gross to make that repayment. In Dublin and other cities that mortgage will be considerably higher. According to the populist view someone on €55,000 is not well paid but someone on €85,000 plus is well paid but if the guy on €55k owns their own home with no mortgage and the guy on €85k is a first time buyer they have the same net income.

Last edited:
Well done you found the one tax left wing parties don't 't like :)

Would people feel differently about property tax if 20% of the tax wasn't siphoned off to other areas?
Or if there was a directly elected mayor setting budgets and tax rate?
I don't think anyone has confidence in our current local government setup of weak councillors & strong county manager bureaucrats.

Interesting idea re: offsetting interest.

Anyone who pays there Mortgage off early and neglect there private pension will regret it One day in the not too distant future we will see a property tax on mortgage free property, The reason the so called left wing parties are against property tax is because the main political parties are against a property tax, Do you remember the time we had a Government Called the TROIKA in place ,that was the only time the people who get up in the morning and go to work had (there) Sovereignty,
(1) the TROIKA brought in the Property Tax it was supposed to be increased in increments as the Economy and house prices increased in value,,
(2) the TROIKA also lowered Payroll PRSI from around 20% to 14.75%
(3)the TROIKA brought in the USC on all earned Income where up to that time only payroll workers paying PRSI A1 were caught for , all political parties are tripping over one another to get rid of it reason it did not happen is because they would have to increase payroll PRSI back up to 20% and they pleb would notice ,

Well done you found the one tax left wing parties don't 't like :)

Would people feel differently about property tax if 20% of the tax wasn't siphoned off to other areas?
Or if there was a directly elected mayor setting budgets and tax rate?
I don't think anyone has confidence in our current local government setup of weak councillors & strong county manager bureaucrats.

I'm more happy with professional managers running things than local councillors.

Only for those who bought before the higher rates of property tax were introduced.

It would also mean more older people (Empty nesters) trade down so that families would be more likely to live in family homes in areas where social infrastructure like schools and playgrounds is built.

I am one of the people who, through no great foresight on my part, managed to amass assets worth hundreds of thousands of Euro by being able to pay my first home when I was 23, 2 years out of an apprenticeship. It is utterly unconscionable to me that people in my position should not pay property tax.
Purple, why aren't you paying your property tax. ?

Purple, why aren't you paying your property tax. ?
I’m happily paying it. My concern is the selfish rich people who will vote for the populist front of Northern Marxism in order to stop paying it

Back