Property purchase - Process Stalled

N

noelmc

I'm in the process of purchasing a second-hand apartment at the moment and I'm concerned about how long it is taking. The process is now well into it's 3rd month. The latest reason given is that my solicitor is waiting on insurance documents from the vendor's solicitor. These have been requested from the management company of the apartment block by the vendor solicitor, but this was first done 4 weeks ago.
My question: Is there anything that I can do to speed this up? My solicitor says no, but I'm not happy about his lack of urgency. The estate agent has assured me that this is the only obstacle but how long should I be expected to wait? What if the management company simply decide not to supply the insurance documents for another few months, is there anything legally that I can do?

Any recommendations welcome, especially from anyone who has experienced a similar problem.

Be proactive

Why dont you do something about it yourself? Find out who the chair/ secretary/ accountant of the mge co is and get the copy of the block insurance policy yourself.

Re: Be proactive

I don't how it would be possible for me to get this? They're not giving the insurance policy to someone who actually owns one of their apartments - why would they give it me, someone they've never heard off?

You wont know unless you try!

Because you've signed a contract to purchase one of the apartments! Get the estate agent involved- let them earn their fee- ask them to contact the vendor & find out who the people involved in the mge co are, and then go get 'em.

Back