Problems with solicitor - can we get proceeds of inherited house paid directly to us?

JodieK

My mother's house has been sold and final contracts signed. The money is to be divided equally between beneficiaries - me and my siblings.

However, we have had serious problems with the solicitor looking after the estate and would rather cut ties as soon as possible. So is it possible/advisable for me and my brother as executors to take the sale money of the house and distribute it ourselves to the beneficiaries instead of doing that through the solicitor?

"So is it possible/advisable for me and my brother as executors to take the sale money of the house and distribute it ourselves to the beneficiaries instead of doing that through the solicitor?"

Possible, yes, once the sale is concluded and you've seen the final balance available, after payment of legal fees and outlays.

Advisable? Who can say? A lot of executors would prefer to have a solicitor wind up the estate - while many beneficiaries are deeply suspicious of solicitors ( robbers the lot of them!), those most suspicious of solicitors are likely to be even more suspicious of lay executors!

mf

I don't think that is fair.

Certainly a majority, but not "the lot of them."

Brendan

Prejudice in jest, harmful to those of us who take our obligations seriously.

Can you take over yourselves? Probably if the executor is in Ireland. Should you? The executor would be ill advised to, but for the rest of the beneficiaries, sure.

Why not go halfway ? In my family's case the funds from the house sale was distributed as soon as the sale went through less legal and other bills known at that point. Some money was held over to cover further costs in completing the process which took a further 6 months and any residue was distributed at that point. (The executors requested the money be distributed at sale point and the solicitor readily agreed though)

Surely if the solicitor has drawn up contracts and all are now signed, the funds will be transferred from purchasers solicitor to your solicitor. We had no issue waiting on funds after they had been transferred to our solicitor. have you reason to believe your solicitor will withhold the sale proceeds?

Back