Problems retrieving house deeds held by AIB

wavejumper

Hello,

I recently paid up a 20 yr old tracker mortgage initially started with UB and later transferred to AIB. During the lifetime of the mortgage
my partner and I divorced, I paid her off (the mortgage was in both our names) and she signed a deed of waiver and another deed to agree the transfer of the property to my sole name. No issues there, all was done and I have the 2011 documentation from the land registry to show this change in ownership.

I have been asking AIB for the deed for a couple of months now and I am finding I am having some difficulties. They say the deed is in both mine and my ex wives name and before they release the deeds they want myself and my ex wife in an AIB branch with ID and proof of addresses. AIB says my ex wife appears on the deed
with the property Irish address and want her to bring a proof of address matching what's on this deed even though she is remarried and lives in Germany now, a German citizen.

I am going to send AIB a copy of this land registry folio to hopefully get them to re-assess their position and just give me the deeds of my house. Is it possible UB never
updated the deed, or are the deeds held by the bank and the ones on the actual registry two different things?

Is there anything else I can do now?

Thanks,

Send them a letter attaching copies of all your documents; including any divorce / separation decrees if thats appropriate.

House is clearly yours, all legal requirements have been taken care of; someone in AIB is being a jobsworth.

Give them two weeks to confirm & tell them you'll escalate otherwise.

Send them a letter attaching copies of all your documents; including any divorce / separation decrees if thats appropriate.

House is clearly yours, all legal requirements have been taken care of; someone in AIB is being a jobsworth.

Give them two weeks to confirm & tell them you'll escalate otherwise.

Thank you for your reply. I have so far been asked to provided my ex's new marital name details, so passport and address details, which were sent by herself by email and accepted.

I was then asked to go to a branch to verify my own ID and proof of address, I as told then at the branch my ID/proof of address was not necessary after all because I have both an account there as well as the mortgage being house there.

i have then been called by AIB to say my ex wife needs to go to a branch with her proof of ID and address or to have her give these docs to a German solicitor to be mailed to AIB.

I then was given some email address to some AIB fixer called only by first name who suggested his team located the deeds but they have both names on it and my ex wife needs to come to Dublin with Id and proof residence same as the property in Ireland.

It does look like AIB has really bitten more they can chew with these mortgages, also no one seems to know their job very well.

Back in the day AIB were slow in returning our house deeds. It took them only two years after we had cleared the full term mortgage. Pity they weren’t that slow in increasing the interest rate back then.

In contrast, I recently paid off my EBS mortgage and within a month got a letter asking me to nominate a branch to pick them up in within a month.

I'm only back here asking because AIB seems adamant they want my ex wife back in Ireland living with me so they can release obsolete documentation.

The whole situation does seem madness at this stage and sounds, as mentioned above, that you are dealing with someone, who is not up to speed on their job.

Probably time to start the complaints procedure and escalate.

A thought.

It may be that the mortgage remained in both names even if the title was transferred?

I suggest that OP may need to engage a solicitor to properly look at the situation and engage meaningfully with AIB.

Without actually seeing all the paperwork, anything here is speculation.

mf

A thought.

It may be that the mortgage remained in both names even if the title was transferred?

I suggest that OP may need to engage a solicitor to properly look at the situation and engage meaningfully with AIB.

Without actually seeing all the paperwork, anything here is speculation.

mf
Hi, the mortgage remained indeed in both names as it was the only way to retain the tracker, we changed the titles ownership with our solicitors, I have contacted the solicitor firm this was originally stipulated with for assistance but I wanted to inform myself a bit while I wait to see them.

During the lifetime of the mortgage my partner and I divorced, I paid her off (the mortgage was in both our names)
This I suspect is the nub of your problem.
While you got a divorce and paid off your former spouse you left the mortgage unchanged.
What you should have done from the banks perspective was to raise a new mortgage by yourself and clear the former joint mortgage.
There are legal protections to stop a spouse selling the family home without consent and something similar is happening here.

Sadly I suspect you must follow their protocols as they have no intention of releasing the title deeds based on the sole say-so of one party while it remains in joint names on their books.

I fear that there are quite a lot of people in a similar predicament as they simply kept paying the mortgage as it stood.

This I suspect is the nub of your problem.
While you got a divorce and paid off your former spouse you left the mortgage unchanged.
What you should have done from the banks perspective was to raise a new mortgage by yourself and clear the former joint mortgage.
There are legal protections to stop a spouse selling the family home without consent and something similar is happening here.

Sadly I suspect you must follow their protocols as they have no intention of releasing the title deeds based on the sole say-so of one party while it remains in joint names on their books.

I fear that there are quite a lot of people in a similar predicament as they simply kept paying the mortgage as it stood.
thank you for your answer. I think also this being a different bank from the original issuer of the loan adds another layer to this enigma hitting AIB.

Back