Problems getting paperwork sorted on used car

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
U

Unregistered

Hi just thought I'd run this story by you - see if anyones had a similar experience / any thoughts on what to do. It's a little long winded...

My partner recently traded in his car and bought a second hand car from a motor dealer just before Christmas and despite numerous requests he hasn't received his Vehicle Registration Certificate (log book) or the written warranty agreed with the dealer.

The car is now without tax because he can't get it taxed without the VRC- so effectively he shouldn't be even driving it. Also it's due NCT 22/04/05 which he won't be able to get done either because he doesn't have this cert.

My partner held on to the VRC from his previous car to use as bargaining just in case he didn’t get the VRC for the new one, but that hasn’t worked as the motor dealer couldn’t care less and has gone as far as letting the new owner of my partners previous car have our home address to which a friend of his called one evening when I was on my own and another time when he called himself and we weren’t at home – just left a note in the door (not threatening).

I thought it was up to the motor dealer to sort out the paperwork as regards transferring ownership or at least the handing over of VRC’s?

Incidentally the new owner of my partner’s old car was the previous owner of my partner’s new car.

We’ve written to the car dealership on numerous occasions and my partner has called in, in person. Yesterday my partner called in to try and sort things out once and for all and the motor dealer has confirmed that contrary to what was originally agreed, he wouldn’t be giving him a full written warranty? Also the dealer said that the VRC has been sorted out but sent to wrong address so it would be up to my partner to sort out & pay for new one.

Do you think these events effectively make the contract void as the dealer didn't comply with the terms of sale? Would my partner be within his rights to drop the car back and demand a refund. I am drafting a letter to SIMI this evening on his behalf but I’m not sure if this would come under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act which they deal with.

Has anyone had a similar experience or ideas on what we could do?

I had a sort of similar experience with my first car a few years ago. Didn't realise I was missing documents until I went to tax the car. They gave me forms for the dealer to fill out. When I went to the dealer he said that I had to say that I bought the car directly from the previous owner and not the garage.
I thought that was ok but the tax office said it wasn't and that the garage had to be named somewhere on the forms.

Can't really remember the details as it was five years ago but basically I couldn't get the car taxed for 4 months and only got the garage to do things correctly by bringing my Dad with me and basically shouting at the manager and sales assistant.

Am on my third car now and wouldn't go near that garage again.

Thanks for the input.

You'd think because you go through a car dealer it'd make things more simple instead of the other way around. I still can't get my head around the dealers customer being given our home address - thought that was really an invasion of privacy. Ah well live and learn!

Maybe the SIMI will give us some answers - fingers crossed. In the meantime I hope the car isn't taken off him and impounded by the Gardai should they stop him for not having tax!

Back