Problems getting back to the Office and Not Now Working from Home

Leper

One of my neighbours rang the doorbell a couple of hours ago distressed, anxious, stressed and perhaps perplexed. Her husband had already left for his work and she was returning to her office from working at home for the first time since the onslaught of Covid. Last night she had contacted her babysitter to inform her that "junior X 2" (two kids) would be dropped off next day at the babysitter's home. Babysitter informed her that she received no PUP payments and unless she was somehow compensated she was not minding the kids again. There was no argument just "make me an offer or else!"

Here I am since 8.30am minding two kids (I know both from the road and we get along well with them). Mrs Lep and I don't mind and we are planning how to entertain them over the next few days at least. The experience is enjoyable so far with the elder boy already turning into me. Please note I am not condemning mom or the babysitter.

But, some of you must now be experiencing the same (and my heart goes out to you, I kid you not). How are you handling it?

Was this truly a surprise to the mother? Had she been in contact with the sitter prior to the past few days? Was there no indication at all that money would be an issue?
Yea, that. Seems strange to only call the child minder the day before she was going back to work after more than a year out.

Here I am since 8.30am minding two kids (I know both from the road and we get along well with them). Mrs Lep and I don't mind and we are planning how to entertain them over the next few days at least.
New career? :)
The experience is enjoyable so far with the elder boy already turning into me.
There's worse things that could happen... I can't think of them off the top of my head but I'm sure there are.

Leper,

Have you had "no falling for incredible stories from suppossedly taken by surprise neighbours at 8.30 in the morning" training? Otherwise, you might get the run around!!

Leper - You're living in County Rebel, right?

Reason for asking is that maybe the poor childminder may not have realised that she was being offered a job again - maybe she thought she had just been offered a concept.

Leper - You're living in County Rebel, right?

Reason for asking is that maybe the poor childminder may not have realised that she was being offered a job again - maybe she thought she had just been offered a concept.
Lep could pop round and see Simon Kathleen might be available after all she was minister for Children and out of a job at present,

@Leper do you take dogs? I promise they are house trained.

But more seriously, seems the child minder was not making tax returns and therefore not entitled to pup.

Suggest to the mum that she's suggests to the child minder that she will get onto revenue and ask why pup was not awarded in this case.

I enjoy a laugh and like the occasional humour on this forum. For the record I can laugh at myself. But, there are two Irelands i.e one which is organised and the other which is organised flippantly (or if you wish disorganised). My sister lives in rural Ireland and she can ordernearly anything from nearly anybody merely by shouting across the street e.g. fuel, car-service, groceries, etc. Even joining the cub-scouts for her children was initialised by a shout across the street to a scout leader.

The cities mainly have people who do things online, arrange other things by appointment and live a more organised life. Something happens e.g. what I described above and suddenly they don't know where to turn. I bet there are many in the same position as our neighbours. We have no problem minding the two boys and the memories keep flooding back to us. Mrs Lep made one mistake on Friday, she bought two GAA jerseys for the boys which had the colours of our local club. The dad supports another GAA team in Cork and tried to smile through his disbelief. Well, we're not perfect!

. . . . and Peemac, we have two dogs of our own (Adolf and Winston) which is enough for us at the moment. Apologies for not being able to help you at the moment.

Does the two boys mother know you have Adolf and Winston,
I would not trust either of them to be honest,
Yes, the mother and father know about our dogs.

Incidentally, I think I have friends but then I look at our dogs . . . .

The cities mainly have people who do things online, arrange other things by appointment and live a more organised life.
Including arranging Babysitters in good time before returning to work,
I enjoy the banter on letting off steam from time to time,

I have seen people becoming babysitters who were approached rather than looked for the job, From your posting
I would not be surprised if the last babysitter falls into this category, and is calling a day on being used as a doormat,

By the looks of things when she knocked on your door looking for a Babysitter, she found a new mum and dad for her kids,

there is an old saying out the Country where your sisters live as lucky as a lamb with two mothers when the second mother runs out of milk or downs tools,
the lamb then starts suckling the next sheep that allows them to suckle, some sheep enjoy another lamb suckling until they get two greedy,

Last edited:
I enjoy a laugh and like the occasional humour on this forum. For the record I can laugh at myself. But, there are two Irelands i.e one which is organised and the other which is organised flippantly (or if you wish disorganised). My sister lives in rural Ireland and she can ordernearly anything from nearly anybody merely by shouting across the street e.g. fuel, car-service, groceries, etc. Even joining the cub-scouts for her children was initialised by a shout across the street to a scout leader.

The cities mainly have people who do things online, arrange other things by appointment and live a more organised life. Something happens e.g. what I described above and suddenly they don't know where to turn. I bet there are many in the same position as our neighbours. We have no problem minding the two boys and the memories keep flooding back to us. Mrs Lep made one mistake on Friday, she bought two GAA jerseys for the boys which had the colours of our local club. The dad supports another GAA team in Cork and tried to smile through his disbelief. Well, we're not perfect!

. . . . and Peemac, we have two dogs of our own (Adolf and Winston) which is enough for us at the moment. Apologies for not being able to help you at the moment.

I'm out of the home country parish 30 years. When my Dad died a few years ago, 4 phone calls more or less sorted everything. The undertaker (and a quick visit to sort out the coffin which only happened after 2 pints in his pub), the priest and then the woman who headed the Community Council and then the hotel for the afters- sorted in a hour to be honest. Ended up with 4 priests, full choir, community council had the stewarding sorted (including parking and the usual one way "special" funeral system for traffic around the village and graveyard and everything was grand with minimal fuss and bother. Try doing that in the Big Smoke.

Back