Motor Problem with insurance broker & license number

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenQueen

I'm wondering can anyone advise?

We renewed our policy last week and paid the renewal fee in full (the money has been extracted from our account etc). My other half is the policy holder and I'm a named driver on the policy - it has been this way for a number of years and we have used the same broker this year as last year.

On forwarding our no claims bonus back to our broker so as to get our new disc issued they now say that they will not issue a disc or policy to us on the instructions of our insurance company without both our license numbers. The difficulty is that my provisional license has expired and is due for renewal and as I'm unwell I'm unable to resit the theory test and apply for a new driving test. If I cannot do these then I can't apply for a new license. I have no intention of driving the car as long as I don't have a valid license and no points on my license either.

Am I right in assuming that the only way to get the broker/insurer to issue a disc and policy document is to take me off the policy?

We really don't want to do this as it could prove more expensive in the long run to remove me and and then put me back on.

Note they have NEVER requested license numbers from us before & we both have clean driving licenses and full no claims discount.

Sorry to hear you are unwell. If you are not well enough to take a theory test then you are probably not well enough to be driving, even if you held a current licence.

Without a current learner's permit / provisional licence you cannot drive legally anyway so what's the problem?

"We really don't want to do this as it could prove more expensive in the long run to remove me and and then put me back on." You are not in a position to debate the issue. You could perhaps have avoided being in this position by sitting (and passing) the test and getting a full licence during the "number of years" you have been using a provisional.

"Am I right in assuming that the only way to get the broker/insurer to issue a disc and policy document is to take me off the policy?" I believe this is your only course of action.

Just give them your licence number on the last licence you had, they only require the number to input so that they can print off the cert and disc for you, once you are not driving there shouldn't be a problem, you can still leave your name on the policy, but just be aware that it is illegal to drive without a valid driving licence.

I'm very aware that it's illegal to drive without a valid license. It would also invalidate our policy. :)

It will be my 3rd license so I cannot renew it without sitting the theory test and applying for a new test.

You are quite correct Mathepac I am not fit to be driving at present however I hope that my illness will not extend for the full year of our insurance cover. I have been unwell for a number of months and hence I've not been able to renew my license before our insurance policy came up for renewal.

Regardless I've now been taken off our policy and I can be added at a later date subject to a possible increase on our policy cost and an administration fee. It will be more costly in the long run; the administration fee alone is approx €63.

Thank you all for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back