Problem Tenant

Hi,
Clubman
Re PRTB: I think the post referring to rating landlords meant an actual rating system. I am registered with the PRTB but I regard it as just an administrative overhead.
I have used an agency before but I found that they didn't check references. I have heard other landlords complaining about agencies being negligent in one way or another so that put me off them. Incidentally the reference for the current tenant came from that agency I once used so perhaps I should have been wary.
OneKeano: re
"make sure if something goes wrong you get it fixed quick and let them and in general treat them like adults not serfs.... Too many landlords f**k around with penny pinching ("should I get the hoover fixed etc") when they can claim this stuff on their tax"
This certainly isn't my position. As I mentioned in the original post, I have spent about 5k on the house around the time this tenant moved in, tiled floor in kitchen, new furniture in bedrooms & kitchen, new washing machine, freshly decorated etc.
I fully accept that a rented property is the tenant's home and i have no wish to intrude: I rented for 20 years myself and am now renting again because I have had to travel for work commitments so I am very aware of a tenant's position.
Personally all I want from the tenant is to pay the rent and treat the place reasonably (and of course that doesn't mean it needs to be kept in a pristine condition.)

Thanks
Regards,
Kiernp

I wouldn't rent out to welfare recipients myself. They're not paying the rent personally, so won't give a monkeys about your place. Better to stick with tentants who are paying for the rent themselves.

Hi Kiernp,
kiernp said:
am going to write to him, explaining my position, which I have done verbally many times, and informing him I will be terminating the lease if there is not an immediate improvement
Why don't you ask him to sign the waiver so that you can get the rent directly from the Health Board, surely this will solve your problem with him? It is, I understand from 3 fellow landlords, common practice. In fact, they won't let any rent allowance tenants into their properties unless they sign the waiver in advance.

I have learned through past experience that you have to act fast and decisively when a problem such as this arises. I dithered once in the past and a tenant ended up owing thousands and left never to be seen again!

If he doesn't sign the waiver, contact the Health Board direct and explain the situation to them. Tell them that he is going to make himself (and his children) intentionally homeless if he continues to withhold the rent allowance. Perhaps they will agree without the waiver to pay you direct?

You sound like a really good, fair landlord and you musn't allow yourself to be worn down by the repeated lies, evasion, aggression, etc. That's what he's counting on.

Have you contacted the PRTB?

Hi Kiernp,

This sounds like a stressful situation. You say that you have been renting for six months, how much is your tenant in arrears? I assume that it is a one year lease so with six months to go I wouldn’t get a solicitor involved too much as the cost will most likely be greater than the arrears for the next six months.
I think that Delgirl’s suggestion of contacting the health board directly is a good first step. Other than that you will just have to put up with your existing tenant for the next six months as if he refuses to leave it will get nasty (and expensive).

Back