Problem opening halifax account

jigsaw

Hi guys, just thought id start this thread to see what people think. heres my scenario:

last week i went to my local branch of halifax and applied to open a 1 year fixed term deposit account (the rate was 5.6% at the time) for a substantial amount of cash. I filled in all the forms, produced my passport and utility bills and all that stuff, the girl in the branch photocopied all of it and told me that was fine she would process my application. I explained to her that i currently had a fixed term account with anglo that was due to mature in 2 weeks and i would be using this money to fund the halifax account. She told me that this was fine because i had 30 days to fund the account. now....... exactly 2 weeks later(today) i called halifax to see if my application went through ok and they told me they had no record of any 1 year fixed deposit account in my name. So i rang my local halifax branch and they told me they would ring me back before 5pm which they didnt. So somewhere along the line i think they messed up my application and it never went through even though i provided all the required documentation. I just checked the halifax webiste and the rate for the 1 year fixed rate saver has dropped.

i just wanted to ask you guys where do i stand legally if halifax refuse to give me the 5.6% rate which i have a feeling they will.

what steps do you think i should take if they refuse to give me the 5.6% rate?

looking forward to some opinions on this

cheers guys

Jigsaw

Several other posters here have got the 5.60% since Saturday.

Why not give them another call and try and sort it out.

Mmm drop in to your branch personally asap.

In theory what you described should work i.e. time is given for the actual deposit to arrive in the new account... cheques clearing or customer EFTs. Obviously only Halifax would know the full time a deposit is given to arrive.

Odd that didn't give you any sort of printed confirmation / receipt of the account? In the very least (at my branch anyway) you should have gotten the account number before you left so you could have kicked off the transfer of funds as soon as they became available?

the branch didnt give me anything at all when i opened the account

i only found out today that my account was not processed so ill drop into them tomorrow

id just like to know where i stand legally if they refuse to give me the 5.6% rate?

thanks for the replies guys

Jigsaw

Back