Probate with only one beneficiary

Mcdalel

How long do you think probate will take in Dublin with only one beneficiary?

First appointment with solicitor tomorrow. Bringing all documents needed such as ID, will, bank info, credit union info, death cert etc.

Thank you

6 to 12 months unless there's complications with property deeds, property taxes, income tax, debts, etc.

Who is the executor? With one beneficiary, unless the estate is very complex, why do you need a solicitor? Did you get an idea of costs from sol? % of estate + outlays + costs (photocopies, postage, correspondence) + VAT?

If there’s a property transfer involved, you’ll need a Solicitor. The Executor can do the rest.

You should really be asking the solicitor that question. I would say it depends on how good the solicitor is at Probate casework and how quickly he /she gets the application into the Probate Office. If the paperwork is done correctly and does not have to be queried the current wait time for a Grant to issue from Probate is just 8 weeks. Once the solicitor has the Grant he / she can then start gathering in the assets and administering the estate.

MY mam passed away last September, and solicitor was instructed to file application re probate..... we have had no correspondence from solicitor, I phoned for an update, and was told don't ring them (solicitor) they'll ring us when they have an update.

Last edited:
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but i am just wondering, do you think our solicitor is 'stalling' ,?

From what I am reading here, we should nearly be finalizing matters now, and instead ,we don't seem to be any further along, with no communication?

I did probate myself last year when uncle left me the house, I was the executor. Took 3 months for probate to come through. I just paid the probate fee in the probate office. A few hundred if I remember, thats all it cost

I did probate myself last year when uncle left me the house, I was the executor. Took 3 months for probate to come through. I just paid the probate fee in the probate office. A few hundred if I remember, thats all it cost
We have just started on this and are deciding Solicitor v ourselves. The will is very straightforward - estate left to 4 children, spouse is deceased and no assets apart from house. Solicitor told me that doing probate ourselves is an option but we could be waiting up to a year for an appointment. Also does probate have to be done by executor (yes, I think). Not sure I believe him or not - can you advise? Thanks

We have just started on this and are deciding Solicitor v ourselves. The will is very straightforward - estate left to 4 children, spouse is deceased and no assets apart from house.
In similar circumstances to you, as executor I appointed a solicitor to do a straightforward probate for a legal fee of €2k plus vat and outlays.

If anything was not right with the application it was then the solicitors fault, not mine.

Had I done the application and something was not right, and the application was returned, the other 3 beneficiaries would have asked why I did not use a solicitor.

As one of 4 beneficiaries, it only cost me 25% of the solicitors fee and I did not then have the work or the responsibility for the probate application being correctly lodged. Money well spent in my view.

Another lesser consideration is the probate fee is double for a private application.

It did Not happen with my solicitors application, but interestingly, according to this Dail Eireann answer, up to 60% of probate applications by solicitors are returned due to errors.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debate... applications the,to solicitors due to errors.

In similar circumstances to you, as executor I appointed a solicitor to do a straightforward probate for a legal fee of €2k plus vat and outlays.

If anything was not right with the application it was then the solicitors fault, not mine.

Had I done the application and something was not right, and the application was returned, the other 3 beneficiaries would have asked why I did not use a solicitor.

As one of 4 beneficiaries, it only cost me 25% of the solicitors fee and I did not then have the work or the responsibility for the probate application being correctly lodged. Money well spent in my view.

Another lesser consideration is the probate fee is double for a private application.

It did Not happen with my solicitors application, but interestingly, according to this Dail Eireann answer, up to 60% of probate applications by solicitors are returned due to errors.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2022-05-24/546/#:~:text=For new solicitor applications the,to solicitors due to errors
Thanks for prompt reply - very interesting note re solicitors errors!

We have just started on this and are deciding Solicitor v ourselves. The will is very straightforward - estate left to 4 children, spouse is deceased and no assets apart from house. Solicitor told me that doing probate ourselves is an option but we could be waiting up to a year for an appointment. Also does probate have to be done by executor (yes, I think). Not sure I believe him or not - can you advise? Thanks
I can only speak for myself, my uncles estate was just left to me. I have an online revenue account so it was fairly straightforward. I assume if its left to 4 people, you will probably need their addresses/pps numbers when filing in revenue form. I found the process easy. Once I got the notice of acknowledgement form from the revenue, I sent this with death cert & original will along with probate documents to the probate office. I was only waiting a few months for appointment.

Generally, if you are good at detailed paperwork and the estate is not complex probate by a personal applicant is quite easy to do.
If you have doubts about competency to undertake this task leave it to a solicitor.
Remember that the Probate Office can, at any time and without any need to explain, direct a personal applicant to continue the application through a solicitor.

A decade ago, I handled the probate for my deceased father's estate. Only two beneficiaries, the family home had already been sold as he was in a nursing home, and my sibling was quite happy for me to do the running round, and willingly signed what, where and whenever asked.

I rather enjoyed it and it certainly wasn't too challenging or time consuming. I found both the Probate Office and Revenue very helpful too.

So, unless things have changed in the past decade, then I'd recommend anyone with a straightforward estate to consider doing it for themselves - but first discuss with the other beneficiaries to ensure that they're happy with that approach - it's also important to ensure that they appreciate that these things take time to bring to a conclusion.

Thanks all. I did myself, was a little longsome, but all in all very manageable. And I too found the probate officer very helpful. We had our meeting about 9 weeks after submission and then had the probate document 2 weeks after that, so it was very quick. I am glad I did myself, so thanks for the advice.

Thanks all. I did myself, was a little longsome, but all in all very manageable. And I too found the probate officer very helpful. We had our meeting about 9 weeks after submission and then had the probate document 2 weeks after that, so it was very quick. I am glad I did myself, so thanks for the advice.

Monkey so about 12 weeks in total from start to finish?

Back