probate valuation

Discussion in 'Wills, inheritances and gifts' started by mosii, Apr 25, 2018.

1. mosii

mosii Registered User

Hi, this might be a stupid question ,but here goes, Do I have to get an auctioneer to value my deceased mothers house for Probate?, or can I do it myself as I am the executor.thanks

2. elcato

elcato Moderator

If it's not been sold as part of the will then I believe you will be advised to by your solicitor. It may delay the probate.

3. mosii

mosii Registered User

Thank You

4. Thirsty

Thirsty Frequent Poster

I'm not sure I understand elcato's reply.

If you are applying for grant of probate and completing the CA24 document you will need a written valuation from an Estate Agent. Some will charge for this valuation but will set it against their sale commission if you sell it with them.

5. elcato

elcato Moderator

Sorry when I said it may delay the probate I meant if a valuation form is not included and he was 'going it alone' without a solicitor. It wasn't clear whether he was using a solicitor or not or whether the house was been sold.

6. Vanessa

Vanessa Frequent Poster

Invariably a solicitor handling the Probate will want an auctioneers valuation as otherwise a beneficiary might allege they were being short changed in the distribution of the estate

7. DirectDevil

DirectDevil Frequent Poster

Similar situation for me but the house was not being sold. I needed a valuation for probate purposes.I was doing this one too as a personal applicant. Got Lisneys to do it about 5 years ago for about €246 (€200 plus VAT.). They were quick and efficient. Sherry Fitzgerald would have done too but they were dearer.

The Probate Office retained the original valuation report.

So, shop around for a price for a valuation and when you get it take a few copies for your own records.