Probate office - Dublin

Does anyone know how long it is taking for correspondence from the probate office? My solicitor has had no correspondence from them since application mid Sept 21?
Thanks

grant of probate is made.
They keep coming back with queries
Both statements can't be true re the same estate.

Grant of Probate means the Will is 'proven' and exec can proceed with distribution.

If there are outstanding queries, Grant of Probate would not have issued.

Interesting; Solicitor applications are generally faster than personal ones.
AFAIK that has always been the case.

The Probate Office can rely on most solicitors making probate applications to know the topic backwards and that probably makes the Probate Office's job easier in processing the application i.e. whilst the application must be checked properly an application presented through a solicitor is highly probably in order.

Applications from "civilians" (personal applicants !) need more careful scrutiny and a personal attendance by the executor(s) at the Probate Office and so tend to be more time consuming operations.

Both statements can't be true re the same estate.

Grant of Probate means the Will is 'proven' and exec can proceed with distribution.

If there are outstanding queries, Grant of Probate would not have issued.

I read fistophobia to mean that the application has been lodged but that the Grant of Probate has not yet issued.
Indeed, no grant will issue until the particulars raised are dealt with to the satisfaction of the Probate Office.

Sidebar point. AFAIK, the last time I checked it, the Probate Office has the autonomous right to direct a personal applicant to discontinue the application and to present it through a solicitor. That is why probate applications are better lodged by a solicitor if there is a substantial time pressure to complete probate.

an application presented through a solicitor is highly probably in order.

Applications from "civilians" (personal applicants !) need more careful scrutiny and a personal attendance by the executor(s) at the Probate Office and so tend to be more time consuming operations.
"The Courts Service informs me that up to sixty percent of applications are returned to solicitors due to errors. The significant error rate in these cases not only slows up the processing of these cases but also adds significantly to the time taken to process all other applications."

Helen McEntee - Minister for Justice

Dáil Éireann Debate on Probate Applications

"The Courts Service informs me that up to sixty percent of applications are returned to solicitors due to errors. The significant error rate in these cases not only slows up the processing of these cases but also adds significantly to the time taken to process all other applications."

Helen McEntee - Minister for Justice

Dáil Éireann Debate on Probate Applications
I've no dog whatsoever in this, but I'd be taking statements like that with a heavy pinch of salt.

I have an "allegedly wonderful" solicitor who not only failed to pay a bill, which they had sitting on their file; but also failed to collect in everything that was due to the estate.

Maybe. But you might want to reserve an equally heavy pinch to take with the guff about our allegedly wonderful solicitors.
My point stands. It's the oldest trick in the book for Government departments and State agencies to blame their customers for their own long processing times.

The Probate Office must, quite properly, pay very close attention to the details of every probate application and return erroneous applications.
I would be curious to see a breakdown of the classes of errors attributed to solicitors on probate applications.
I would also like to know the actual number of applications returned as distinct from a percentage.

It’s all done online now which makes personal applications even more difficult.

Btw what would be the time frame of a simple case of probate now ??

Back