Proactive anti-scam measures by DHL

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I am expecting a package to be delivered by DHL over the next few days.

I got an email from them today with just one simple message:

IMPORTANT: DHL Express does not request payments by cash or any other payment methods via email. Please do not send payment in response to this email.

This is clever. If a scammer happened to get lucky by pretending to be DHL before it arrives, my guard could be down.

Brendan

I am also expecting the delivery of a parcel. I received an email overnight written in French asking me to confirm my address by clicking on a link. The thing is, when I was not expecting a parcel I often got these emails, so these scammers have been overdoing it, in my case.

I had an attempted scam-mail from a crowd purporting to be DPD. They asked for confirmation of my address and payment of €2.99. All of the details were identical to the anti-scam warnings on the DPD website. I was not expecting a delivery.

I had a DHL delivery last month where I owed VAT. The delivery man came to the door with the package and gave me a slip of paper with the tracking number.
He said he’d be back tomorrow or whenever I’d paid the VAT online. Would not accept any payment there and then.

I can’t recall if I’d been notified before this that there was an outstanding payment owing.

We got a call from our UPS driver Antony, a regular visitor, so we know his number and his voice. He confirmed which package it was and told us to pay the duty/VAT online (we were expecting to pay due to the value of an order of technical items). We logged on to the UPS website (not from a link), used our tracking number which we had received from the vendor, not UPS, when they dispatched, paid the outstanding amount, got a code as a result that we passed to Antony, and he then was able to plug that code into his handheld device, and get permission to deliver the expected package. Good system, works... If I was at all unsure I think I would run full tracking on the airwaybill number to check that the package route/size/weight was as expected from the vendor location before paying.

Back