Pro Bono Solicitor for bank guarantee?

march

Hello

Apologies if this is posted in wrong forum.

We need a solicitor to look at documents to tell us our position on bank guarantees. Can anyone advise please?

We have been to MABS, Free Legal Aid (on waiting list which is a year long) and been in touch with Citizens Advice Flac centre (solicitor did not have expertise in this area)

I also rang FLAC this morning and they may have someone call us back when they return from holiday next week.

We need someone with this expertise to sit down and go through the paperwork.

Thank you in advance

I don't wish to sound insensitive but I am wondering why you would expect someone to take on work for you for free?

mf

Hi march

If you have the paperwork, why not post the relevant bits on askaboutmoney.

I would have guessed that the wording of a guarantee was pretty standard. You have a guarantee or you don't. Where is the ambiguity.

Brendan

As a matter of interest is it a guarantee that you may sign in favour of a lending institution or a copy of such that you have already signed. From experience some guarantees prepared by banks are extremely complex lengthy documents .

Thank you for your replies

mf1 professionals offer pro bono to people in need. We are in need. I have worked on pro bono cases when I started out in my career initially.

Brendan There is a guarantee no doubt about it. The bank and now their solicitors have been engaging in very sharp practice with us over the last 2 years. They ask for a sum of money to be paid with all the threats of legal action but have not to date provided us with how they arrive at such figures.
Their unprofessional tactics are too many to go into on a forum.

We need someone to tell us what we can do at this stage, give us an idea of what will happen and what powers the bank have based on the original documents.

Not sure if it will help to post the documents but will look into it.

Dewdrop the guarantee is with Ulster Bank directly.

Forget the paperwork for the moment and tell us the story.

Who borrowed the money?

Who gave the guarantee?

What is the issue? if the person who borrowed the money is not repaying it, then the guarantor should honour the guarantee.

As Brendan has said it would be helpful if your situation was more clearly outlined. Am i right in thinking that you signed a Guarantee for a person/company who borrowed from Ulster bank and now Ulster has called on you for payment. If this is the scenario there are numerous such cases being contested in the courts at present. As a retired bank person i am well aware of the excuses put forward like undue influence, lack of independent legal advice which people will put forward to try and repudiate their liability. If you feel you have a legitimate case i think you should engage with a solicitor now.

Back