Private sale time delays and contracts

cernunnos

Hello,
I am buying a house privately and about a month ago agreed a price with the seller subject to surveyors report. The house checked out fine by the surveyor. Now there are 2 issues:
1) The seller is awaiting planning permission for their own house that they intend building but this could take another 2 months
2) The seller has indicated that they are now looking for another 10,000 on top of what we originally agreed.
In 2 months time the the seller will most likely look for more money as this was hinted at in a phone conversation; they do not want to sell the house until planning is approved.

Is there any contract that can be drawn up between myself as the buyer and the seller that will stop this price creep apart from the actual contract of sale? Any recommendations as to how this could be overcome?

I have stopped activley searching for a house as i was hoping to get this one so the longer i leave it the more i'm losing out.

Thanks

cernunnos said:
Hello,
I am buying a house privately and about a month ago agreed a price with the seller subject to surveyors report. The house checked out fine by the surveyor. Now there are 2 issues:
1) The seller is awaiting planning permission for their own house that they intend building but this could take another 2 months
2) The seller has indicated that they are now looking for another 10,000 on top of what we originally agreed.
In 2 months time the the seller will most likely look for more money as this was hinted at in a phone conversation; they do not want to sell the house until planning is approved.

Is there any contract that can be drawn up between myself as the buyer and the seller that will stop this price creep apart from the actual contract of sale? Any recommendations as to how this could be overcome?

I have stopped activley searching for a house as i was hoping to get this one so the longer i leave it the more i'm losing out.

Thanks

not that I know off... try and push ahead with the sale contract... or tell him you will walk if the price goes up a penny (if you are willing to do that of course)

Your solicitor should be able to draw up a contract "subject to permission", but whether this is enforceable is another issue

don't agree to anything. Just ignore him.

If he says he's putting the house back on the market, so be it.

When it comes to the time when he has to sell, and its too late to find another buyer, drop your price by 5k. Land him in it, the greedy *****!

Unless of course you REALLY want the house, but I wouldn't agree to anything.

Thanks guys. I'm walking from this one!
Doing my bit to halt the culture of greed in todays Ireland ;)

dont tell him you are walking though tell your solicitor to bin all correspondance :)

Back