price of running electric rads

What you are saying, then if there is a heavier cable running to the boiler than required, a larger amp fuse must be used!

Absolutely not! I never said that a higher rated fuse MUST be used nor did I even infer it. I suspect you knew this already.

Boilers (or indeed any electrical devices) requiring a 3/5 Amp inline fuse, to be within regulation, as you also know, are commonplace, however these fuses are NOT there to protect any components within, other than the light gauge wiring used within such appliances from overheating/catching fire, should a high current be called for through a component failing.

A properly designed PCB handles overloads in a totally different way than relying on a basic fuse, to protect itself.

A fuse is a very crude safety device and even a fuse (generally quick blow rated) mounted on a PCB is there to prevent ALREADY failed electronic components from drawing currents that may lead to overheating and hence a potential fire risk.

To sum up, if any device is blowing a fuse (main board/plugtop/spur unit) that is rated to be capable of carrying that devices expected current, then there is a fault within said device ie. the fuse did not "protect it". The blown fuse however has stopped unknown currents being drawn and thus heating up supply cables to the point of causing a fire.

However we are drifting away from the OP.

hi shane007
once again thanks for your knowledge and time they do seem very good as you said ,anyway
i got on to a distribution company for farho in cork
they quoted me for the following
1x13panel zana plus=511euro
1x9 =432
2x7=764
3x5=998
my question is do you think these prices seem roughly the same or would i be better to do like you did and go to electrical wholeseller

Distributors/wholesalers generally quote ex-VAT. Contact them and make sure, then just phone a couple of electrical wholesalers and see what prices they offer.

If it is VAT inclusive, then it is a good price. If not, then my local supplier is better. I can pass their number to you and a contact name there.

hi shane
the price excludes vat so could you please give me the number of your local supplier
vat price=3,328

Hi just found this discussion about fahro heaters and also have a cabin. Wondering how you got on please as I need to purchase something asap. Have lived in it for past ten years with just a stove. Now have moved out and set it as a holiday home and better keep the clients happy.
Really would appreciate some advice.

Hi Shane, you had previously advised bustermummy (by pm) details of suppliers of Farho Storage Heaters. I wonder if you would be so kind to pass the same suppllier name to me? I'm moving into a house shortly in Castleconnell and no heating whatsoever. No gas meter either so it looks like i'll be installing a stove into the open fireplace and the Farho radiators but prices seem to vary a lot. Thanks for any help or advice you are able to give Anne

These are the Distributors in Ireland.

South Coast Sales
Doughcloyne Industrial Estate
Wilton. Cork - Ireland

Tel: +353 21 4346143
Fax: +353 21 4341271
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web: [broken link removed]

Contact Person: Pat Mc Carthy

Back