Pressurised Hot Water System

A

Arrowmania

I am trying to decide on a plumber for my new house which is being built and I have a few plumbing questions...

1. I was interested in putting in a pressurised hot water system. Some plumbers are very much in favour but there are some who have tried to talk me out of it saying its too expensive, more maintenance etc.
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has installed such a system- how is it working out?

2. I have planned on using a geothermal system for heating the house (underfloor) as well as heating the domestic water up from cold to 40 degrees. I would then use immersions to bring the water up to shower temperature. Is there anything wrong with this? The reason I ask is that some of the companies installing geothermal systems seem to want to just concentrate on the heating of the house only and keeping domestic water heating seperate.

3. Also my family would probably be heavy users of hot water (we like our showers!!) - what is the most suitable hot water cylinder size for a family of five to supply our hot water needs. Any ideas on what a cylinder (well insulated) this size would cost?

Re: Hot Water

Quote " I was interested in putting in a pressurised hot water system. Some plumbers are very much in favour but there are some who have tried to talk me out of it saying its too expensive, more maintenance etc.
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has installed such a system- how is it working out?"

We have installed many such systems, Clients very happy.

Quote ". I have planned on using a geothermal system for heating the house (underfloor) as well as heating the domestic water up from cold to 40 degrees. I would then use immersions to bring the water up to shower temperature. Is there anything wrong with this? The reason I ask is that some of the companies installing geothermal systems seem to want to just concentrate on the heating of the house only and keeping domestic water heating seperate.

That’s because of the nature of geothermal systems; they are not designed to heat hot water, put in a separate boiler solely for your hot water requirements. Immersions will not provide decent recovery rates.

Quote " Also my family would probably be heavy users of hot water (we like our showers!!) - what is the most suitable hot water cylinder size for a family of five to supply our hot water needs. Any ideas on what a cylinder (well insulated) this size would cost?"

Consider a 450 litre unvented cylinder.

Thanks for the reply glenamaddy.

I take it from your post that you are a plumber yourself.

As regards the pressurised hot water system- any ideas of a ballpark price on this for a house with 4 bedroom (2 ensuite) + bathroom?

You said:

That’s because of the nature of geothermal systems; they are not designed to heat hot water, put in a separate boiler solely for your hot water requirements. Immersions will not provide decent recovery rates.

What do you mean by "recovery rates"?

Also can you clarify why geothermal cannot be used to partially heat domestic hot water?
I would be very reluctant having spent the money on a heat-pump (which is substantial!!) to then have to fork out for a boiler as well just to heat hot water! Would I not be safer just forgetting about geothermal and putting in a boiler to heat both house and water??

I don't wish to distract from Arrowmania's questions, but since we have a plumber contributing, can I ask your knowledge/experience/opinion on the Cremin Tank (www.oxyvent.com).
I too was looking at a pressurised system, but the plumber wasn't keen, citing noise as a problem.

Re: hot water

I take it from your post that you are a plumber yourself.

Yes

As regards the pressurised hot water system- any ideas of a ballpark price on this for a house with 4 bedroom (2 ensuite) + bathroom?

I couldn’t give a price without a survey.

What do you mean by "recovery rates"?

When the contents of the cylinder are used, the time required for water to be heated. A properly designed and installed system will recover in 30 minutes.

Also can you clarify why geothermal cannot be used to partially heat domestic hot water?
I would be very reluctant having spent the money on a heat-pump (which is substantial!!) to then have to fork out for a boiler as well just to heat hot water! Would I not be safer just forgetting about geothermal and putting in a boiler to heat both house and water??

The optimum temperature for hot water is 60 degrees. A geothermal system is designed to operate at much lower temperatures.

Back