Pressure cooker

Sarah

This probally sounds like a daft question but can anyone explain how to use a pressure cooker? We have been given one for our new house and i havnt a clue how to use it but i hear there pretty good...i just like things you dont have to constantly watch(easily knowing i dont have any children!) Any info or examples welcome!

Thanks x

Pressure cookers are OK in an 80's kind of way. I had a couple and used to use them all the time but I just got fed up with the hiss and steam. I used to use them alot for quickly cooking child-friendly soups and stews. They were also good for lamb curries.
Go by the book you get with it and you can't go wrong. Things can get overcooked easily so try doing things for less time then it says until you get the hang of it. Be careful when releasing the steam - I always used to run cold water over the lid in the sink and it was gone in a few seconds. Always use the trivet when cooking spuds/veg, use very little water and the vitamin content isn't diluted in the water. Can't think of anything else - I'm sure you will find it useful for cooking quick meals.

Thanks for that...its sounds like too much hassle for me...prehaps ill just bring it out for show when they come round to visit!! I prefer slow cookers so i dont have to keep an eye on them all the time and pressure cookers like you say with all the hissing and steam scare me...ill end up burning everything! Im told their great for Spuds but i like the microwave and my pots for that! Oh well. Cheers!

o but you can't beat a pressure cooker for having casseroles done in 20 mins - just brown the meat, throw everything in, and 20 mins later it's done. I wouldn't be without mine!

Hi Sarah
If you are willing to experiment with it, then it is very useful. I cook a lot of pulses and the cooking time for these is reduced to a quarter of that in a normal saucepan. Brown rice also mush quicker. Saves plenty time in the evenings getting the dinner on the table = more time for me!!

Back