Preserved pension and early ill health retirement...

Cityman

Hi,
I'm 53. 15 years with public service class D1.
I have a preserved pension with a semi state org payable at 60. I took VS/VER after 18 years service.
Now...if I had to retire early due to ill health does a by one know can I access the preserved pension early?
I assume I would get some added years with current employer and avail of pension immediately but would really also need the preserved one...
Any thoughts?
TIA

According to the "Superannuation Handbook" a public servant can access the preserved pension early in such circumstances - once they can show that had they been still serving they would qualify for ill-health retirement. There are no enhanced benefits (added years).

I assume the same would apply in a semi - state but I don't know.

According to the "Superannuation Handbook" a public servant can access the preserved pension early in such circumstances - once they can show that had they been still serving they would qualify for ill-health retirement. There are no enhanced benefits (added years).

I assume the same would apply in a semi - state but I don't know.
Hi Thanks for that.

I think my current PS employer would allow added years but thats another matter.

I suppose I'm really interested in whether I could access my preserved pension early from old semi state employer...and if so how much I'd be penalised.
I take from your response that it depends on the terms of that pension scheme..I will go and check with them.

Many thanks

I suppose I'm really interested in whether I could access my preserved pension early from old semi state employer...and if so how much I'd be penalised.

Yes, I'd say you would need to check the terms of the specific semi-state scheme. If it had been the regular Public Sector you would be able to access the preserved pension early without penalty, afaik - once your eligiblity for ill-health retirement had been established. Probaby a good chance the semi-state has similar terms.

PS. Are you and Cityman one and the same?

Back