Pre Retirement Allowance

Swallows

Has anyone got up to date information regarding the Pre Retirement Allowance. It is being abolished from September. A lot of people are interested in finding out when the last day for applying is, End of August or end of September?

No, ClubMan, there's nothing new there on those sites as this is a recent announcement and unless someone has heard anything on the grapevine( someone in the know) who might share something anonymously with us? We are looking for a deadline for applications.

Are you sure that it's being abolished - in September or whenever? I can't see anything about that anywhere.

From a speech by the Minister (21/2/02) on Social Welfare Law Reform and Pensions Bill 2006

The Bill includes provision for the phasing out over the coming decade of the Pre-Retirement Allowance (PRETA) scheme in view of the changed labour market condition since the introduction of the scheme in 1990 at a time of extremely high unemployment. It was introduced originally for long-term recipients of Unemployment Assistance who were aged 55 years and over and who had effectively retired from actively seeking employment. PRETA numbers have decreased from a high of almost 15,300 in 1994 to 11,000 at the end of 2005.

The Bill proposes that no new person will join the scheme, from a specified date, and that as a result the scheme will be phased out without impacting on any of the existing recipients. This would mean that those currently on the Live Register aged 55 to 66 who might have transferred to PRETA will no longer be able to do so and as a result this will lead in the short term to an increase of about 2,000 on the Live Register. However, this increase should, in time, be offset by the inclusion of the over 55's for intervention and support in the Government's Employment Action Plan. In addition, my Department and other agencies have developed a wide range of employment support payments, services and initiatives to assist jobseekers, and others who may feel vulnerable, to return to employment, education and trainng....

http://www.welfare.ie/press/sp06/sp210206.html

Murt10, thanks for that link. I looked but couldn't find anything about the PRETA.

I've gone through the Social Welfare Law Reform and Pensions Bill 2006 and Section 15 deals with payment of the Pre Retirment Allowance.

In relation to the date when the Pre Retirment Allowance payment will cease - this is what the proposed legislation states:

"Notwithstanding the provisions of this Chapter and
subject to subsection (8), pre-retirement allowance shall
not be payable to a person in respect of any period of
retirement which begins on or after such date as may be
prescribed."

In answer to your question therefore, there is currently no specific date upon which payment of the allowance will cease - this is a matter for the Minister.

In addition, it seems that no new applications will be accepted after a certain date - and I believe this date has yet to be announced too and will also probably be for the Minister to determine.

If you have any concerns - I'd suggest you give your local social welfare office a call or DSFA in Longford (043) 45211.

CMCR, someone else has already phoned their local office but no new information was available. The month of September was mentioned on the news so we have to assume that they got that from some reliable source. A friend aged 54 will qualify for this payment in August but has to wait until then by which time it could be too late. Also a neighbour is in the same position. They live in a Rural area where there are no jobs and are not qualified to do a trade. One of these people was looking after an aged mother and so missed out on earlier opportunities for retraining etc.

Back