Pre 95 public sector workers and Prsi until age 70.

S class

This category of workers may not be able to qualify for the contributory pension at age 66.

If they don't qualify they will remain liable to Prsi on rental and investment income up to age 70.

They will pay class K Prsi on their unearned income.

This is charged at 4% and gives no reckonable benefits.

If workers in this category have ARF drawdowns which on their own or in addition the their unearned income amount to at least 5000 euro per year they would receive 52 class S reckonable Prsi contibutions per year to age 70.

This gives these workers the potential to gain an extra 4 years of full rate reckonable contributions and these extra contributions might allow them to qualify for a partial or pro rata contributory pension at age 70 or before age 70.

Thanks for that info.

In my case I have 180 A stamps and have 40 years service in the public sector workers Defined Benefit pension scheme. I will be leaving my employment under a voluntary exit scheme at the end of October.and I will be 60 the following month.

I intend to find a job and earn a least 1 A stamp as soon as possible after I leave my current job. I will definitely earn an A stamp in 2024. I understand that this will convert my D stamps for 2024 and 2023 into Credited contributions. Is this correct?

I also understand that I need to have a minimum of 260 earned A stamps to be eligible for a pro rate pension. Is this correct?

Once I get to 260, my Credited contributions will be added to the 260. Is this correct?

Once I get to the 260, what are my options for earning/gaining more A stamps. Are the following valid options?

1. Work as long as possible. This may be an option if I take a part time job.

2. Sign on for A stamps. What does this mean in reality?

3. Draw an income of at least 5000 euro per year from an ARF. This will give me 52 S stamps which count as A stamps

Thanks

I intend to find a job and earn a least 1 A stamp as soon as possible after I leave my current job. I will definitely earn an A stamp in 2024. I understand that this will convert my D stamps for 2024 and 2023 into Credited contributions. Is this correct?
Yes

I also understand that I need to have a minimum of 260 earned A stamps to be eligible for a pro rate pension. Is this correct?
Yes

Once I get to 260, my Credited contributions will be added to the 260. Is this correct?
Yes

Once I get to the 260, what are my options for earning/gaining more A stamps. Are the following valid options?

1. Work as long as possible. This may be an option if I take a part time job.

2. Sign on for A stamps. What does this mean in reality?

3. Draw an income of at least 5000 euro per year from an ARF. This will give me 52 S stamps which count as A stamps
1. Yes

2. It means signing that you are a Jobseeker once per year. You will only receive
credits up to age 66.

3. This will give you class S stamps. These are full rate reckonable paid stamps similar to class A.

You can also pay voluntary Prsi, based on your class A contributions, up to age 66. The voluntary contributions are reckonable paid contributions and count towards the 260 or 520 full rate paid contributions target.

You could aim to reach 520 paid contributions by deferring your pension beyond age 66. This might be beneficial to you, but you would need to calculate if the advantage is worthwhile.

If you decide not to continue working in class A employment, you should continue to sign on for class A credits until age 66. Class A credits are allowed while receiving class S contributions and while making voluntary contributions.

The reason I suggest this is to allow you to have a chance to qualify for 65s benefit.
You would just need to work in class A employment for 13 weeks in any calender year from age 61 to 65 to complete the qualification criteria.

Continuing to sign on for class A credits will also allow you to qualify for treatment benefits.

Last edited:
Back