Practical but good cost saving tips

It's called "domaine Arnaud" only in Tesco and always "half price"

Anyone who can actually drink a full bottle of it needs to get tested for coronavirus cos their taste buds are shot
I pity anyone who buys it on its rarely listed full rrp price!
Theres a few of those French and Chilean wines in Tesco where the half price offer seems like their actual price.

Theres a few of those French and Chilean wines in Tesco where the half price offer seems like their actual price.
A few? - I'd say all of them. :)

I was given a bottle of the DArnaud once. I still remember the sensation of drinking bad vinegar.

Since working from home, I have taken to filling up flask to have at my desk. I drink about 10 cups of tea or coffee a day, that is alot of kettle usage, invariably boiling too much water over and over again. A flask cuts a lot of that out.

Last edited:
Take note of which way your house is positioned. The back of our house, with kitchen and spare living room, starts to get a lot of sunshine from this time of year onwards. It only takes a small bit of sunshine to warm a room. I turn off the radiators from about 11am, turning them on again before bedtime for ready for chilly mornings.
It may seem a dull, mostly inconsequential chore, but it is surprisingly satisfying, especially if the heating bill is noticeably reduced (or perhaps I'm just turning into my mother?)

Oh, don't have kids. That's a really important tip.
If you do then sell them while they are young. The older ones don't get a good price (they are not like cattle that way).

We sold ours awhile back. Got a reasonable price I thought, but damn, you better know what you are doing. The conditions on the warranty are pretty extensive, so any sort of flaw expect the consumer looking to return for a refund.

Ditch the TV subscriptions (Sky & the like)

Very true. I'm battling with my Sky subscription because sport is escapism for me. Got rid of Amazon Prime, Audible and Spotify, but Im stuck with Netflix because of majority rule in my house.
Out of all those subscriptions, I consider Netflix the most over-rated pile of garbage. It is dreadful. Netflix series are an expanded form of formulated soap operas and reality TV series, about any bit of nonsense.
The last series I watched in full was that Tiger King series. Interesting story no doubt, but 6 hours? Six episodes of a story that could be told in one, maybe two, hours?
Then there is all those really good drama series, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul etc....some really good script, characters etc, but when it gets to episode 15 of series 9, isn't is just a case of watching the first series over and over again but in a different context?

And always buy Barry's Tea - anything else is a false economy

No arguement there.

Yeah, always beware the supermarket half-price offers. I use the Vivino app on my phone to scan labels to check value & ratings for anything I'm not familiar with.

I cannot agree about the loose tea. I hate it. Barry"s tea or Lyons or McGrath"s tea are all equally as good as each other, tea bags, in my opinion.
I agree with everything else though.
I haven't tried McGraths but at 59c in the ads currently I'll try if for the craic. I can't imagine it can be the same quality/taste as Barry costing €3.49. Lyons is manky. Its always laid on in those kitchenettes in offices (as its cheaper than Barrys) so I tend to bring my own stash of Barrys.

I'll report back on McGraths. At that price I won't mind throwing out the other 79 unused tea bags if its rancid.

Don't throw out leftover wine \ wine that has been open too long or oxidised.
Pour into smaller bottle and add a pinch of salt.
Keep to add flavour to stews and casseroles.
Alternatively, some people make ice cubes and add to stock when needed.
Never added the salt. Is that to keep it preserved?

Never added the salt. Is that to keep it preserved?
Yes. If you look at the ingredients of what is sold as cooking wine it has a pinch of salt.
But having said that if I fill the mini bottle to the brim so there is hardly any air in it I havent had an issue cooking with wine left for weeks without the salt.

Since working from home, I have taken to filling up flask to have at my desk. I drink about 10 cups of tea or coffee a day, that is alot of kettle usage, invariably boiling too much water over and over again. A flask cuts a lot of that out.
Another little tip is to boil just what you need - fill the kettle to the minimum mark and once you've made your drink fill the kettle to the minimum mark again before it gets cold. This saves a few bits of energy, storing it in the water rather than allowing it to dissipate into the air. One kettle might not save much electricity, but imagine thousands of them!

Back