PPR and rent-a-room scheme

Calico

This is a bit of a strange one....

I inherited a two-bedroom apartment many years ago (15+) and it has been my PPR ever since,

In 2018, I purchased a one-bedroom apartment in Dublin (using a mortgage, as a first-time buyer, which was allowed) to use as a base for work reasons.

Neither property is, or has ever been rented, and I probably spend about 50% of my time in each place.

Utility bills, management fees etc. are all in my name

My question is, all things being equal, can I rent out the spare room in the two-bedroom apartment and avail of the rent-a-room allowance?

I need to be able to continue to stay in both places, but don’t want to fall foul of some loophole or do anything illegal...

In 2018, I purchased a one-bedroom apartment in Dublin (using a mortgage, as a first-time buyer, which was allowed) to use as a base for work reasons.
Did you avail of the HTB scheme to purchase this property? If you did, it has to be your PPR for 5 years after purchase.

I think that is the only thing that would change Gordon's advice above

Did you avail of the HTB scheme to purchase this property? If you did, it has to be your PPR for 5 years after purchase.

I think that is the only thing that would change Gordon's advice above
Hello OkGo.....no, didn’t avail of HTB....it was a secondhand property...

Interesting comparison here:

Interesting comparison here:

Yes, that’s a similar situation....I think it can be argued either way tbh....maybe I should just ask Revenue directly.

Back