Power electricity energy saver - save up to 30%

The ESB meter measures watts, not current.
Reducing current due to good pf won't affect the power consumed at all.

Hoagy the ESB meter measures watts for sure but uses the current to do so on the assumption that the voltage is standard..... less current equals less billing.

Hoagy the ESB meter measures watts for sure but uses the current to do so on the assumption that the voltage is standard..... less current equals less billing.

I don't know where you got that from

The ESB meter has a voltage coil and a current coil arranged around the disc so that current in phase with the voltage rotates the disc.

Out of phase current doesn't rotate the disc.

Avoid like the plague. If it was a power factor correction capacitor it would have to be placed in paralell with a load, i.e. to cover your house it would have to be placed at your fuseboard. Simply plugging it into a socket is pointless.

And domestic customers aren't penalised for low P.F, the ESB is. So its not going to save you money. Even if you bought it thinking it would save on ESB C02 emissions, it could overcorrect and give you a leading power factor which is even worse for the ESB.

As for "stabilising the supply voltage and improving harmonics", sensitive equipment which would be affected by irregular supply waveforms already have their own voltage regulation. The harmonics in a house would also be negligible, unless you have >20 computers knocking about.

I'd nearly buy one just to open it up and see whats actually inside it- I suspect little more than two LED's.

Also I didn't see any reference to EN or BS standards, so you wouldn't know what you were getting.