Posting non standard characters on askaboutmoney

You've just illustrated that there's no problem as far as I can see. If these characters are not displaying properly at your end then it's most likely a local system issue.

Thanks to all feedbackers.

This is a user issue.

I see that on my Ubuntu 22.04 admin account, I see all accented characters correctly.

But on my user account on the same machine I get Cyrillic characters instead.

So it's no issue with Xenforo on AAM - it's just some different keyboard/language/encoding config on the user account that causing this effect.

Apologies.

Got it at last.

My browser normally allows web pages to select the fonts that they render text in rather than have the browser's own default font (e.g. DejaVu) applied.

AAM has messages fonted according to this CSS rule:

font-family: 'Segoe UI','Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Roboto,Oxygen,Ubuntu,Cantarell,'Fira Sans','Droid Sans',sans-serif;

Whichever one of this list the font applies, that one must have some error in it.

Now, having unchecked the option in my Firefox settings to allow web pages to select their own fonts, I can see Páid's name rendering correctly. Likewise with é, ç and û on the French keyboard and ö,ä and ü on the German keyboard.

Tá brón orm nach rinne mé cuid mó scrúdú faoi na rudaí sin sula chuireas ceist chuig AAM orthu.

Last edited:
It's not the AAM web page settings.

It's not the operating system's language or keyboard settings.

It's the settings on the browser that causes this.

If on Firefox: Settings > General > Fonts paragraph > Advanced > Uncheck "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of your selections above.

It's not the AAM web page settings.

It's not the operating system's language or keyboard settings.

It's the settings on the browser that causes this.

If you are on Firefox, do the following:

Settings > General > Fonts paragraph > Advanced > Uncheck the box beside

"Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of your selections above".

Probably need to determine the actual impact on end users ability to contribute and comment on the the forum vs the time to address these edge cases that probably will never get solved

Brendan:

Finally found the true fix.

Yes, it never had anything to do with AAM - barring its choice of fonts for the site, which are common enough. My intention is to provide a solution for people using Ubuntu on their home PC or indeed using any other op system which doesn't carry fonts like Segoe UI, Helvetica (Neue), etc. Perhaps even some who like me had a font in this list installed with faults in it.

The CSS file gives a group of fonts for rendering the text, i.e. 'Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Fira Sans', 'Droid Sans', sans-serif.

The browser will endeavour to find Segoe UI on the user's system. If it can't be found, it looks for the next one on the font list, then the next and so on till it finds one that the user has natively. In my particular case, the first one found was Helvetica. But for some reason this font was not working right, it was showing accented vowels as Cyrillic characters.

My solution was to download Segoe-UI-Linux font from GitHub and install manually.

Please delete previous solutions which are limiting to user experience.

But for some reason this font was not working right, it was showing accented vowels as Cyrillic characters.

My solution was to download Segoe-UI-Linux font from GitHub and install manually.
The real answer then is to install a decent font manager for your OS that warns you about possibly corrupt font files and enables you to delete them and perhaps download clean versions.

What a palaver.

In the dim distant past Brendan, myself, and a couple of others went through a bunch of fonts that were in common, trouble-free use around the web-o-sphere, and picked one that suited the needs for legibility and "universal" compatibility. I don't think there's been any reason to change what we did way back then. I'd be amazed if AAM were at fault for dodgy typefaces appearing on user displays or printouts.

The real answer then is to install a decent font manager for your OS that warns you about possibly corrupt font files and enables you to delete them and perhaps download clean versions.

Unfortunately, font managers do not have the functionality to do much more than offer a GUI for installing and deleting fonts that are within the fonts folder. The one I was using (Font Manager) seems to have trouble at times in deleting fonts installed . . . though you can disable the unwanted/defective font.

Not saying your choice is bad. The primary ones in that list ('Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Fira Sans', 'Droid Sans', sans-serif) are common enough in modern sites and common enough in op systems or readily available to install.

The fault lay in one of my installed fonts. The last post made as much clear.

Update 12:00: Reinstalled Helvetica and Helvetica Neue. All seems well on the AAM and ST forum sites.

Last edited: