Posters Not Allowed To Edit Their Own Posts

trajan

AskAboutMoney is unique in my experience of forums in that members can't edit their own old posts.
:confused:
At least I see no Edit button at the end of my old posts.

A lot of postings could be sharpened up after solution and shortened by the members who wrote them. This means less space needed on the hosting server and less cost to the site owners.

It also means a trend towards snappier scan of issues by users and admins.

Any reason why not configure XenForo like that ?

Yes. A few reasons.

People were using guessable passwords. Spammers were going into their accounts and editing old posts to include spam links.

Some people were editing the entire content of their posts to effectively delete them which often made long threads to which people had contributed meaningless.

A lot of postings could be sharpened up after solution and shortened by the members who wrote them.

You can edit your posts for 48 hours I think. Plenty of time to sharpen your posts, but better still sharpen your post as you post them.

Brendan

Do users know how to use the "Preview Post" feature? or create their posts in a word-processor / texteditor with a spell and grammar checker enabled or use Grammarly? Simple copy and paste job then.

I never use preview = what is the point of it. Would i bee abel 2 corect my erors.

OK, I used Preview, but as it's simple text, it makes no difference.

It might make a difrerence if I were using quotes

like this

or images
upload_2018-7-29_14-28-55.png

Hi mathepac

I had not heard of Grammerly. Is it worth adding to Firefox? Is it free?

Would I make less grammatical errors?

Brendan

Grammarly is free but there are payment options. It's a browser extension so there's no need to do antything with the site itself. Preview helps to show up incorrectly parsed quotes and bad internet links and other basic formatting issues.

Back