Porterstown, D15

TDON

Have seen a house I like in Porterstown, but would like to know the answer to the following, if anyone can help:

There is an old delapidated house on the Porterstown road near the railway track that looks like a haunted house or that of Norman Bate's mother. I don't know what it was previously, but to me, that's the best description I can give, to identify it to people. I can remember a few years ago, there being a planning application to turn it into a late night bar or nightclub, (can't remember exactly) but so far nothing has happened to it. Someone else has told me that this was turned down because of some preservation order, but could give me no further info.

I was wondering if anyone knows the story with this and if indeed there is a preservation order to prevent it being turned into a late night venue. It wouldn't bother me, in the least to see a ghost passing by my new house on it's way home, but late night revellers keeping me awake and using my front garden to spend a penny are another thing entirely.

If anyone knows anything about this can they advise please?.

Re: Porterstown

It's an unusual enough looking building allright. It's called The School of Spite.

The field in which it sits was for sale earlier this year/last year. Not a normal EA job, just a big sign saying it was for sale accompanied by two mobile phone numbers. Fingal CoCo have confirmed that the school is the subject of a Preservation Order, so hopefully it will be there for many years to come.

Here's a link to its history

[broken link removed]

Murt

It's an unusual enough looking building allright. It's called The School of Spite.

The field in which it sits was for sale earlier this year/last year. Not a normal EA job, just a big sign saying it was for sale accompanied by two mobile phone numbers. Fingal CoCo have confirmed that the school is the subject of a Preservation Order, so hopefully it will be there for many years to come.

Here's a link to its history

[broken link removed]

How much is it up for sale at ?

A proper estate agent could tell that story completely differently.. e.g. instead of haunted old dump how about a captivating, enchanting rural retreat ... historic.... with unsurpassed views

Is this the old schoolhouse building you can see from the Maynooth/Dublin train ? I vaguely remember reading something about it specified on a redevelopment plan which required that it retained its status as a listed building and crow/raven sanctuary. Sort of of a "here today, guano tomorrow" kind of thing.

That the old school. I would imagine there would be massive local objection to a late night venue there, not only because of its history but because its essentially in a residential area.

Ajapale - It’s in Dublin 15, realised after I posted that I didn’t put full address

Murt10 - That’s terrific info. Thank you very much.

Sign - Hmmm. Different strokes, but haunted is a seller to me :eek:

NCS - That’s the one.

Aircobra 19 - Thank for reply and input. But you know what these planners/developers can be like. Brother was refused planning permission for a DORMER bungalow, on a site adjacent to an old castle. Two years later when his was built, they give someone else permission for a 2 STOREY house on a site that’s actually closer to it! And as for roads, they don’t care what is damaged regardless of its history if it suits them. Ok now I’m going off on a tangent, :rolleyes: but I think you get my drift and why this is a concern.

Murt

Thanks for the history - I live within sight of that building, and always wondered what it was. I alsways imagined it was connected with the rail / canal, but now I know!

Quinno

Thats the old school. My dad went to there. I live at the top of the Porterstown where u come to the Junction (Ireland Coloured Gates).

If you want any background info on the building or locality, drop me a PM & will be able to get all the information off the locals. My cousin's live across the road from there as well on both sides of the railway.

Thanks
I used to drive by there and always wanted to know what that house was!

A

Have just found out the following from a very reputable source.

The schoolhouse does indeed have a preservation order on it, but I've been told that what that basically means is that the shell of it must be retained. What is done with the inside and the grounds is another story entirely. Planning permission is usually given if the new owner agrees to maintain the facade, so that it will remain preserved and not collapse.

Planning permission was sought to have a bar and restaurant and parking on the site. I've been told it will be something along the lines of the 12th Lock, which is also in a residential area. Whilst its still going a bit back and forth, planning permission more than likely will be granted.

The field to the rear of it has also been bought.

Thanks all again.

The 12th lock is a bar restaurent and a hotel. The local residents objected vigourously to it but in the end it was overuled. From what I've heard, Ddring the course of the development the developer tried to exceed the planning permission a few time and the local residents objected each time, and eventually (and unsually for D.15) the developer was forced to undo the extra work and comply with the planning permission. I don't think the residents are happy with the traffic it brings down zipping that road. I lke the 12th lock myself but then again I don't live near it. But yet again it just proves with enough effort you can build almost anything in D.15.

By light night venue I assumed you meant a niteclub. If its on similar scale to 12th lock I assume you'd get planning permission alright. Though its on a small road, where any increase in traffic would be a problem I'd have thought. IMO while its nice to have some amenities built, I think they whole area is over developed and the section of the clonsilla rd is car park quite often.

There is an old delapidated house on the Porterstown road near the railway track that looks like a haunted house or that of Norman Bate's mother.

Defo haunted house....it scares the bejaysus out of me every time i go by it

The 12th lock is a bar restaurent and a hotel. The local residents objected vigourously to it but in the end it was overuled. From what I've heard, Ddring the course of the development the developer tried to exceed the planning permission a few time and the local residents objected each time, and eventually (and unsually for D.15) the developer was forced to undo the extra work and comply with the planning permission. I don't think the residents are happy with the traffic it brings down zipping that road. I lke the 12th lock myself but then again I don't live near it. But yet again it just proves with enough effort you can build almost anything in D.15.

By light night venue I assumed you meant a niteclub. If its on similar scale to 12th lock I assume you'd get planning permission alright. Though its on a small road, where any increase in traffic would be a problem I'd have thought. IMO while its nice to have some amenities built, I think they whole area is over developed and the section of the clonsilla rd is car park quite often.

You are quite right about the over development. Castlethorn are currently trying to buy out all the neighbours on the right hand side of the road after the railway gates. They have all refused. They are wealthy enough. Castlethorn has also had 2 planning applications for the land on the right that they own refused already.

The owner of the old school has had several planning applications refused down through the years. I wouldn't be sure he will still get planning permission. Several sites in the Clonsilla area have been refused permission over the last few months.

Aircobra, I might have read your last post wrong but, you realise its not ME looking for planning permission??!! I wanted to purchase a house there and was concerned about what was happening with the old building.

However when I got the brochure from the EA , I noted that there was planning permission with the property for a garage. So I typed the address of the home into Google to see how long ago the permission was granted. It threw back that there was objections from that very house about apartments to be built at the rear where a house and large gardens currently exist. One of the selling points was that it wasn't overlooked to the front or the rear. But I could end up with a late night bar to the front with the school and apts to the rear also.

That road is already chockers also, so I'll be giving it a miss even though the house itself is fabulous and my hat goes off to whoever did the interior design and the garden because they are very talented. Pity, but there you go.!!! :rolleyes:

These are the relevant file nos. An Bord Pleanála Ref.: PL.06F.127708 , An Bord Pleanála Ref: R216233, & An Bord Pleanála Ref.: PL 06F.125842. in case anyone is interested but it's a lot of reading.

I was talking hypothetically "you". :) The commuting traffic around there at peak, and when the shopping center is busy is chronic. There might be a short cut to the train in coolmine I dunno. If I was thinking of D.15, I want to be within walking of the train or heading opposite the flow of traffic.

Thats the old school. My dad went to there. I live at the top of the Porterstown where u come to the Junction (Ireland Coloured Gates).

If you want any background info on the building or locality, drop me a PM & will be able to get all the information off the locals. My cousin's live across the road from there as well on both sides of the railway.

Hi im not really sure how to use this but if you could contact or pm me about this building because im doing a history project on it and theres not much info about it online. Would greatly appreciate it

Hi im not really sure how to use this but if you could contact or pm me about this building because im doing a history project on it and theres not much info about it online. Would greatly appreciate it

New users can't send / receive PMs

Back