Poorly installed tiles? What to do

nemesis2001

We bought a house just over 3 years ago and the kitchen was the area of the house tiled as standard. The builder was offering an option to tile entire house for a fee and we decided to go with it.
Soon after, we had to ask them to replace a few tiles as they were either cracked around the grout. They did that no problem. Then we had to ask them to come around again as many tiles were hollow-sounding meaning the adhesive was not holding. Note the house has underfloor heating downsiars where the tiles were fitted.
In October last year, I contacted them again telling them we had a few tiles (83) that were eitehr hollow-sounding our where the grout had cracked/lifted and were hollow sounding. They were reluctant to replace the hollow sounding ones but agreed to replace the cracked ones. They offered no flexibility even though I was told the workmanship of tiles was guaranteed to be 7 years. I told them I would have to go the legal route and I am firm about this. I was wondering what kind of expert would have to certify the work as being substandard? Is it an architect, builder, tiler etc. The tiles ar eprime quality butt hey must have messed up withthe adhesive or the concrete slab. Many otehr neighbour have problems with loose tiles but none have as large problem as we do? Also, not everyone opted for tiles etc.
Any advice guys?

Sorry if I came across as a bit sarcastic, it was Monday morning after all.

To be honest (and I don't know your situation, financially or otherwise), if it was me,I'd get a good tiler in to assess it. If he/she thinks that they can lift the badly adhered tiles and re-stick correctly, then re-grout, I'd be going this route, pay them the couple of hundred euro and call it good. I'd say you are on a hiding to nothing chasing the builder, and that time could be better spent sitting out in the garden with a cool drink.

Life is too short, realistically, after three years, and if it is as you describe, you will be spending a lot of time to very little avail.

Wish you the best whatever you decide.

Last edited:
But surely the tiles should last more-less for life and not start giving issues a few month s after they were fitted? Clearly a shoddy job done.
While I do enjoy life I think letting builders away with such acts just reinforces that they can do whatever they want. Just my 2 shillings

But surely the tiles should last more-less for life and not start giving issues a few month s after they were fitted?
Maybe, or maybe other issues are at fault. Is the house well ventilated where they have become loose or hollow sounding ? There could be condensation or leaks behind the tiles caused by something else. No offense but you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about builders. I would try to get a second opinion from a recommended person.

It could be a lot of things chances are the builder is blaming the tilling contractor the tilling contractor will blame the addesive and the builders providers he purchased it the builders providers will blame the manufacturer of addesive so good luck getting to the bottom of it. Not an easy job to get it fixed it would be day work for a tiller meaning he wouldn't be able to give you a price on how long its going to take it would be slow tiedest job and could take a while.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do everything.....

If a tradesman purposefully chooses to do a job the 'wrong' way in order to save themselves time spent on labour, effort, money spent on quality products for the job at hand such as decent quality grout then they deserve 1000% to be hauled back to the scene and asked to explain why the homeowner cannot walk around without feeling depressed over their shifting, crumbling tiles moving skittishly on a powdery base of rubbish.

I appreciate that the advice here is that the OP is most likely to have their head wrecked and heart broken.... But still, I get the feeling they're a principled person who knows the right thing to do and it's what we all should be doing in these situations.... Otherwise the Cowboys continue to make hay while laughing at us like shoddy hyenas in hats (Sorry for mixed, runaway, terrible metaphor...couldn't help it!)

Maybe, or maybe other issues are at fault. Is the house well ventilated where they have become loose or hollow sounding ? There could be condensation or leaks behind the tiles caused by something else. No offense but you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about builders. I would try to get a second opinion from a recommended person.
Don't really get what you are saying elcato.
Not sure what ventilation has to do with poorly laid tiles. How did you conclude I had a bee in my bonnet about builders just because I want something paid for 7000 euro to be done properly. Sorry if your feelings got hurt but that wasnt my intention. Quality should be a standard and not an exception. I will clearly seek second opinion and, even though not very hopeful a resolution will be found, at least, I'll know I did what is right.

Firstly you get a proper tiler to assess the work and identify the problem and the resolution. He can also give you a quote.you then tell the builder you want the problem sorted using your tiler or he has to send you a good tiler. If he refuses you go to a solicitor who will send a letter. That hopefully will get the builder to react instead of fobbing you off.

Last edited:
Not sure what ventilation has to do with poorly laid tiles
Moisture on walls getting in behind the tiles, similar to leaks in walls, can cause tiles to come loose as it may damage the adhesive or cause structural damage to walls. Now I'm off to take injections for my sore feelings.

Moisture on walls getting in behind the tiles, similar to leaks in walls, can cause tiles to come loose as it may damage the adhesive or cause structural damage to walls. Now I'm off to take injections for my sore feelings.
Floor tiles in a AA energy rated house with underfloor heating so no issues with dampness.

Firstly you get a proper tiler to assess the work and identify the problem and the resolution. He can also give you a quote.you then tell the builder you want the problem sorted using your tiler or he has to send you a good tiler. If he refuses you go to a solicitor who will send a letter. That hopefully will get the builder to react instead of fobbing you off.
best response so far. Thanks Bronte

Thanks JohnBrown. That seems to be a US company. Are anny of you aware of any Irish company/individual that would be willing to do an inspection of other's work?

Back