Poor customer experience with NIB's handling of a stolen card incident

RainyDay

I'm normally a big fan of NIB, but they really let us down badly in this case. [broken link removed] had her purse whipped out of her handbag which was hanging on the baby’s buggy a couple of weeks ago. This happened in Next in new Dundrum Town Centre, on the Weds afternoon. [We've since heard of quite a few other people who were robbed in the same way]. We were flying out to Italy on holidays on Saturday morning, so we had all the fun of cancelling & replacing cards urgently. My experiences with Amex (via BOI card services) and NIB (for my NIB Visa card) were remarkably different.

Amex cancelled the card immediately. As they use different account numbers for each cardholder, the full account did not have to be cancelled. This meant I didn’t have to worry about resetting the direct debits. When I explained our circumstance about the holiday, they arranged to pull the replacement card out of the next day’s batch and have it ready for collection from their Nassau St office in Dublin. SWMBO had the replacement card in her hands the next afternoon, less than 24 hours after it had been reported. When I disputed one (surprisingly small €13-odd) transaction which hit the account that afternoon, Amex said they would just write it off, as it wasn’t worth the cost of investigation.

NIB cancelled the card immediately, but I was disappointed to find that I couldn’t cancel the Visa & ATM cards at the same time – no joined-up thinking there! When I explained our predicament about the holiday, they said I could call Visa International who would arrange an emergency replacement card. They gave me a freefone number 1800-558002 for Visa international, but unfortunately this number doesn’t accept calls from mobile numbers – not much use for emergencies then. When I got back to my landline and called Visa, they went through a pile of verification checks, and then explained that they would need to get authorisation from NIB for the emergency card. However, NIB (via their UK owners Northern Bank) only provide this authorisation service on a M-F 9-5 basis (not much use for emergencies then), so we lost another 14 hours or so waiting for the guys in Northern Bank to come into their Leeds office.

Then came the real frustration – I rang Northern Bank in Leeds first thing on Thursday to ensure they were moving ahead with the authorisation, so they said they would get it moving straight away. I called them back about 40 minutes later to confirm that everything was OK, and they told me they were waiting for some fax from Visa International. I then called back to Visa International, who told me that they were waiting for Northern Bank. I actually had to conference the two guys together on the same line – Carlos from Visa International in Canada & Helen from Northern Bank in Leeds - to get to the truth. It turned out that (once again), the delay was on the NIB side. So they did their thing after an hour or so, and Visa International got the approval they needed to produce a single emergency card only – NIB refused to authorise emergency cards for both myself & herself for ‘policy reasons’ (no better explanation was forthcoming).

Carlos from Visa International called me back to explain that they would send the emergency card by next-day courier service, so we should get them in our hands on Friday. And true to their word, the replacement card arrived on Friday afternoon, after a minor panic with UPS. I rang UPS that morning and was told that the package was ‘out for delivery’ and I should get it by 2 pm. I was checking the package status via their track-and-trace website and got a huge shock to see it marked as ‘unable to deliver’. When I called UPS, I was told that they only had a house number & street name, no townland and no postcode, so they didn’t know where to deliver to. They said they would redeliver on Tuesday (Monday was a bank holiday), and I had to make quite a fuss to get them to find a better solution. Eventually, the agent came back on the phone and said ‘the driver is just outside your house now’ – and he was. But they had lied about the address – they had the correct postcode, so surely it’s not too much to expect a UPS driver to have an A-Z map.

I had another to-do with NIB on the Friday morning. The purse in question was found in a laneway in Ballyfermot and handed into the PTSB office there by a civic minded customer. All the cards were present & correct, though the Amex Blue card was folded in half for some reason. Only the cash (the grand total of about €9 she estimates) was missing. So I called NIB to get them to ‘uncancel’ the cards, given that I was nervous about whether the replacement emergency card would get to us on time and they were only giving us a single card instead of the two cards we normally use. Uncancelling the cards would also have avoided the need to change the 4 direct debits which hit that account. But no, despite the fact that recovering a lost/stolen card must be a very common scenario, there is no ‘uncancel’ option. One unhelpful and rather cheeky supervisor pretty much suggested that it was our fault for ‘losing’ the card in the first place and we should be grateful for what we were getting!

The icing on the cake of the NIB customer experience occurred on our return. The new NIB cards with the new account number were waiting for us when we got back. We got a rather strange letter from NIB during the week asking me to ring a certain dept. When I did this, they explained that they had reduced the credit limit down to €600 for the emergency card (which they hadn’t bothered to explain at the time) and they were now putting it back up to the original level. I’m not sure why they needed me to ring them about this, but anyway, I was reassured that the original credit limit would be restored. However, SWMBO was shopping on Friday and had the card declined. When she rang NIB, they said we were already over our limit – they hadn’t restored the original credit limit and were declining authorisations as a result. They did restore the limit at that point, but it just seemed all so avoidable and unnecessary.

So the key lessons learnt for NIB customer service should be;

• Don’t lie to the customer and try to push blame onto other parties (Visa International in this case)
  • Authorise the issue of 2 emergency cards in such circumstances instead of just 1?
  • If you screw around with the credit limit, make sure you fix it yourselves
  • Provide a capability to 'uncancel' a card which has been recovered or found

Am I being too harsh on them?

No, They sound incompentant to be honest. They should have done what BOI did and made a special effort to allow the cards to be collected. It is also a bit much that their admin is in Leeds and not in Ireland.

I would cancel my accounts with NIB, there are loads of CC providers. Also write a snooty letter to them.

You are not being too harsh at all.

Hi Rainyday

A great story well told.

• Provide a capability to 'uncancel' a card which has been recovered or found
I am not sure about this. I lost an AIB card some years ago and found it immediately after cancelling it. They could not restore the original card either.

But it was just new card numbers. The account and any direct debits stayed the same. A minor inconvenience only. And to be honest, I would prefer that they err on the side of security over inconvenience.

I wouldn't agree with the idea to allow cards to be 'uncancelled', I know it is probably frustrating, but as Brendan says, it is better that they err on the side of caution.

I am in sympathy with you on the rest of the saga. I am in the process of closing my BoI CC, due in part to this . The only way to really punish incompetence is to take your business elsewhere. Unfortunately, I think that such practice is just as likely to be as evident in any of the Irish retail banks at any given time.

Uncancelling is a bad idea.

I agree it would be handy to have the facility, but it would also make fraud easier - you get a phone call from a 'garda' telling you to come down and pick up your wallet/purse from the station and advising you that you can uncancel your cards because they are now 'safe'

You uncancel, and go down to the station to find out that your card was never there and the thief has used your uncencelled card for some transactions in the time it takes for you to discover it was all a ruse.

z

The conferencing of the two organisations onto the same call was brilliant.
If you had recorded it I'm sure it would have been a very popular download.

-Rd

daltonr said:
The conferencing of the two organisations onto the same call was brilliant.
If you had recorded it I'm sure it would have been a very popular download.
Thank you - I've done it once or twice before when getting the run around or suffering the effects of buck-passing. I'd often do a slight variation on this tactic at work when one party is blaming a delay or a hold-up on another party. The old 'let's get x on the line and we'll close this one out' can be amazingly effective.
zag said:
Uncancelling is a bad idea.

I agree it would be handy to have the facility, but it would also make fraud easier - you get a phone call from a 'garda' telling you to come down and pick up your wallet/purse from the station and advising you that you can uncancel your cards because they are now 'safe'

You uncancel, and go down to the station to find out that your card was never there and the thief has used your uncencelled card for some transactions in the time it takes for you to discover it was all a ruse.
I accept that it's better to be save than sorry, but I don't think these problems are unsurmountable. A simple script for the call-centre agent to verify the identity of the account-holder (possibly by more extensive means than the usual checks) and ensure that the account-holder has all cards in their physical possession (possibly by checking the security code printed on the signature strip at the rear) would address this.

The final glitch from NIB today was when I found that to access the new account from internet/telephone banking, I had to phone their call-centre and give somebody there the new account number - Any reason why the two departments can't talk to each other and leave me out of it!

I accept that it's better to be save than sorry, but I don't think these problems are unsurmountable. A simple script for the call-centre agent to verify the identity of the account-holder (possibly by more extensive means than the usual checks) and ensure that the account-holder has all cards in their physical possession (possibly by checking the security code printed on the signature strip at the rear) would address this.

But whoever took the purse may keep a note of the card no, expiration date and security code and using it to shop online or possbily they may also clone the card.

A few years ago I got into work one day and had no wallet, I tought it may have been robbed onthe bus so I cancelled my BOI credit card but not my pass card -I asked could they do a temporary hold on the credit card but it was either cancelled or authorized. Well I went straight home and found the wallet on my bedroom floor - I still had to get a new card but I can totally see where they are coming from on these types of probs.

One of the best scams I've seen was on a programme about pickpockets on the underground in London. They removed your wallet, took out one of the cards at the back, replaced the wallet.

The victim wouldn't notice that the card was missing for hours/days giving the thief plenty of time to shop to their limit.

I thought it was neat.

Murt

paddyc said:
But whoever took the purse may keep a note of the card no, expiration date and security code and using it to shop online or possbily they may also clone the card.
Every waiter who took your card into the office could do the same thing. Any sharp-eyed shop assistance who handles your card while processing the transaction could do the same thing.

RainyDay said:
Every waiter who took your card into the office could do the same thing. Any sharp-eyed shop assistance who handles your card while processing the transaction could do the same thing.

It should be against the law/merchant agreements to take the card out of sight of the cardholder.

RainyDay said:

Yea that is a risk, but a very acceptable risk IMHO

I just did a search to see other people's experiences when having stolen cards replaced. My Tesco Visa card was stolen whilst on holidays. I realised almost immediately that my purse had been taken (from a zipped pocket in my bag, between me and my back, that I would've previously thought inaccessible, hence lesson learned for next time), found an internet/phone café, and cancelled that and my ATM card before an attempt could be made to use either. That was April 12th. I'm still awaiting the replacement. I received the PIN number early last week (the same one, actually; I hadn't used the old one yet since Tesco only issued it in March, and it hadn't been with the card either, obviously). Today I received a letter confirming that the card was now inactive and advising me to contact X and Y if I had direct debits (it would make more sense to me if they sent this out first). But I've still not got the replacement card itself and need it relatively urgently to contact the V.H.I. who have charged my card twice for travel insurance (not much point phoning them yet when I don't have a new card number to give them for the credit) and to change my payment details on Amazon where I've had a difficult-to-source item on order for ages and which may become ready for despatch in the meantime. I've phoned Tesco to explain the situation and have been told it should be with me this week. Is this the normal length of time you can expect to wait for a replacement card?

Back