Policy with basic sports cover

Brego888

Hi all
This site is a great resource.
Question in relation to best cover for me.
34 year old fit healthy male looking to get basic cover now before turning 35.
Only issue for me would be sports related injuries as I play multiple sports.
So I'd like cover for mri's, possible sports surgery clinic procedures etc.

Brego888,

Welcome to AAM. The following plan would be a good starting point with cover for procedure in the Santry Sports Clinic as well as others.
Details as follows;
1. VHI Start Plan 250; price 782pa; 21 public hospitals covered, 12 private hospitals covered + Beacon hospital,
private excess 250 per admission for surgery or overnight treatment, limited day to day cover. MRI scans covered as per details on plan.

2. Laya Essential Health 300; price 895pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered. Private hospital excess 300 x 2 max per year
for all private hospital admissions including Santry Sports Clinic. Some day to day cover. MRIs etc covered as per details on plan.

3. Laya Control 300 Create; price 1042pa; all public, private(including private room) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess
300 per admission or 125 per day case procedure. Good day to day cover included, 30 refund per gp visit, 80 per conaultant visit, 30 per physio
etc. MRIs are cover as per details on the plan.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks for your help much appreciated.
I had been looking on the hia site, there are a number of polices in the €500-€700 range. Is the main drawback of those that they don't cover inpatient stay in private hospitals?
Would they be suitable for sports related treatments/surgerys that didn't require inpatient stay?

The range of basic plans starting at £500 don't cover private hospitals at all.
They just cover all the public hospitals.
Regarding being suitable for sports related treatments/surgerys, the bogey is that you will have to go through A+E
and the waiting times that entails or by referral from the gp, go for x-rays or scans and then onto a waiting list for surgery or treatment.

There is the same waiting list in public hospitals for both groups of people, with or without health insurance, which makes health insurance pointless
in this regard. Having the extra option of going to a private hospital like Santry Sports Clinic for sports related injuries is worth the extra money.

The following list of plans, all cover some private hospitals, including Santry Sports Clinic but the private excess payable if admitted for overnight
stays is fairly high - ie 600, 500 etc. But day case procedures in private hospitals cost 150 per visit, which may be an option.
[broken link removed]

Thats why I recommended VHI Start Plan 250, as the inpatient excess is 250 for a stay and 150 for a day case.
It covers a good list of both public and private hospitals in Dublin.

Vhi One Plan 500 covers all public and private hospitals. There is a 500 excess x 2 max per year regardless of the number of inpatient stays
in private hospitals. Day case excess 150 per procedure in private hospitals. No excess applies to any public hospital for admissions or day case.

Regards, Snowyb

Outstanding advice.
It can be so difficult to get your head around what each policy offers.
Thanks very much.

Actually Snowyb I might ask you one more question.

As above im soon turning 35 and looking at the above cover that you recommended.
My girlfriend is a year younger and while not needing to start a policy straight away she is pregnant and will be looking at starting a policy perhaps this time next year.

Can you recommend an affordable policy that would cover all three of us that would include the benefits for me you mentioned above?

Brego888,

Firstly, you don't have to choose the same plan or the same company. You can pick plans to suit your own individual needs.

If you take out your policy before the baby is born, the newborn can be added to your plan free of charge until your next renewal date.
Just to note that the VHI Start Plan 250 does not cover Temple Street childrens hospital, it covers Crumlin childrens hospital and Tallaght
childrens hospital. Something to be aware of when choosing. All other plans recommended cover all childrens hospitals as standard.
If your partner takes out a plan before the baby is born, the child can be added to her plan for free until the next renewal date. This would leave
you able to choose Start Plan 250 if you wish.

So all plans recommended above are suitable plans.

Regards, Snowyb

Back