Health Insurance Policy for parent with Alzheimers

tkc

My mother has advanced Alzheimers and vascular dementia and is now bedridden in a home under the fair Deal scheme which takes 80% of her income.

She has a VHI policy that costs approx €3,000. I'm trying to find out which one it is, but I assume for that expense it covers just about everything.

Is any one in a similiar situation and is there a more limited policy you could recommend. At her age (80) and frail mental/physical condition, I doubt that she would be a candidate for any major procedures, and if she needs to go to hospital for anything urgent like a UTI she would be treated the same as anyone without private coverage.

Thanks

Don’t know if there is a limited policy but I was in an identical situation.

After discussing the issue with the nursing homes nurse manager and my relations GP, the VHI was cancelled for the reasons you have outlined.

My relation lasted a further 5 years with Alzheimer’s and would not have benefited in any way by having VHI during that time.

I think discussing VHI with the nurse manager and GP should be your first step.

twofor1, thank you very much for your reply. I will talk to the nursing home nurse manager and see what she advises.