PM's for off line discussion is contrary to the spirit of information sharing on AAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Vanian

Isn't the whole purpose of a board like to share information which can be of use to many readers, rather than trying to solicit business from a poster without giving any information on the public board?

It is indeed, and I can point to the hundreds of posts I have made on this board doing just that.

The fact is that I asked the OP for a private message asking them to set out their circumstances in more detail rather than posting potentially sensitive data on a public forum.

Would it not be more beneficial for the Askaboutmoney community to simply answer the questions the OP asked on the board? He doesn't need to provide sensitive data for this query - the exact amounts are irrelevant to his queries. Besides, he's not revealing his identity.

Ive moved these posts from the pension section.

Use this thread to discuss the merits or otherwise of using PM's for off line discussion.

aj

To what you have posted above Dave I agree with you.

But there is no context to what happened with you, the original poster and Marc. Did Marc ask the original poster to PM him because he wanted business from the original poster or because it was something that couldn't be discussed in the open forum? Is it the thread of new poster Probe?

Since it is obvious no one has ever considered all the factors influencing a DB to DC transfer let me point to one of the potentially sensitive issues that most people wouldnt want to discuss in open forum.

One of the issues to consider when making a legitimate transfer of benefits from DB to DC is life expectancy.

A competent adviser will consider all factors that could reduce life expectancy so that the acturial valuation would understate the economic benefit of a transfer.

Naturally some people would be reluctant to set out their personal lifestyle choices in open forum (even with anonimity) hence the need to discuss sensitive subjects by PM.

That's potentially useful information for the OP. You should post it in the original thread along with any other issues that need to be considered. If you also have any facts about rules governing transfers from the UK to Ireland, you should post them also. There is no sensitivity about simply posting rules.

That way, the OP gets the information he originally was seeking, everyone else who views the thread gets to see your helpful post and the OP can make up his own mind as to whether or not he wants to pursue it with you directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back