please help, beginner with 15k to invest in shares with... what exactly do i do?

buttonmoon

I have been thinking about buying shares a lot lately and now I've read the excelent WHY YOU SHOULD INVEST IN THE STOCKMARKETand Short term savings and investment. as well as "cheapest irish stockbroker" thread plus few more (til my head start spinning).

Anyway, I have 15k to invest. I do not *think* that I'll need access to this money for another 3 years or so (hopefully not for another 5).

I have two questions:
1) As far as I can see, Campbell O'Connor stockbrokers would be the cheapest/best option for me. Is that correct?

2) There are two companies in particular I want to invest in (names removed by CCOVICH). Can I ask the broker to, say, invest half in these two companies and the other half in the irish top ten?

Do you mean € 3,500 in each of 2 companies (€7,500), with the other € 7,500 spread over top ten ?

If so, a couple of questions -
1. how do you want to class the companies, to come up with a top ten - by profit, by price, by sales ?

2. buying € 750 worth of sharesx is not likely to be very cost-effective, even with C O'C. Better to invest in the ISEQ ETF

3. the irish market is dominated by banks/insurance and construction companies - who might be better off diversifying into a wider european-wide etf or fund

Do you mean € 3,500 in each of 2 companies (€7,500), with the other € 7,500 spread over top ten ?
yes, that's what I was thinking.

1. how do you want to class the companies, to come up with a top ten - by profit, by price, by sales ?
I thought that there was a 'top ten' that was fairly well performing and had the lowest risk... I guess I'd pick n choose.

2. buying € 7500 worth of sharesx is not likely to be very cost-effective, even with C O'C. Better to invest in the ISEQ ETF
How do I do this (or the European equivalent)?

Please see my thread which asks a similar question and shows my intended approach:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=39796

If you spread €7,500 over 8 shares (€937.50 each) the commission alone will be 2.1% (based on NIBs' minimum commission of €20). If instead, you take full advantage of the minimum commission and invest €2,666 in each of a number of companies, the commission will only cost you 0.75%.

If you were to use my approach, but remember - I'm no expert (YET :D ), you would split your capital up into batches of €2,666. If, for example, you had €15,996 to invest, you could split it up into 6 batches of €2,666 and purchase 6 different shares throughout Europe. This way, your commissions are kept to a minimum.

[broken link removed] seem to have the cheapest commissions for smaller investors at the moment with a minimum charge of only €20.

I like the cut of your jib, Ronaldo.

I think I'll do that then. I'm going to NIB for a meeting in 2 weeks time for an application for their new LTV mortgage anyway so could talk to them more about it then.

Back