Playing ballgames on public roads.

B

bstop

Does anybody know if it is an offence to play ballgames on the
public roadway?
Is it an offence under the road traffic act?
Can the gardai instruct anybody engaged in this activity to
stop?

Shouldn't be playing with your balls in public really....sure you could get done on indecency grounds for starters!!!

:\

Re: ..

ahhh jumpers for goalposts ?

spotty boys playing with balls ehhh??

Next goal wins !!

Anybody remember "kerbs" and "football tennis" with the "court" delineated by the tar between the concrete sections of the roadway? We were mad in those days but thankfully adhere to the rule of law since we've grown up! :)

kerbs

I was a legend in kerbs. Best kerbs player this side of the Urals. Great game indeed !
We even played with a basketball sometimes which allowed double or treble 'kerbs' in a row. Great craic. Those were the days !

5 when you got the other kerb from yoru side.
You then could add bonus single points from the middle for as long as you kept hitting the kerb.....

if when you thre you put the ball into the opposite garden, that entitled your opponent to call whatever he wanted to either bring the game to half time, or if the game was in the second half, he could call what he needed to end the game. he then had to get the kerb from inside the garden!!!

kerbs

And what about the 3 point overhead kerb where your back was turned. Always worth a punt if you were losing badly. Demoralising to the opposition.
And the fights you would have trying to decide if the rebound crossed the half way line. Priceless.

Ah those were the days, we would have great fun,
Football matches,football tennis, 'Lawn Tennis' on the concrete, using the tar as lines. Even double, but we did not have the extra tramlines down the side. Looking back the dispute over whether it was a goal when it went over the arm of a coat, was funny, it was life and death at the time....lol
Another game we played was to hit the lamp post (usually at a corner of an L shape road)with the football.First to score 10. Each time you hit the post you had to go back to a designated spot about 20/30 yards away. If you hit the lamp post from here you earned great kudos, from your fellow players, if you hit the lamp post with extreme venom from the designated spot, you moved into short term folklore !! This was risky, because if you hit the kerb with the ball at speed, there was agreat chance of it going in a garden so it would be delicately balance.If you hit it in to a garden you had to retrive it ,needless to say we would stand right behind you ;) !!!! , But if you got caught you were on your own !!. ,then again there was always one bad apple that would not retrive it and knew that you would as it was your football !!
Now if you damaged anything this was a different matter. The exception being flowers, though you could get an earful if you were caught.
ah great fun looking back. Thing have really changed these days with most people having cars, it is hard to have a decent game on the road.

I'm delighted to see that I'm not the only one who has fond memories of "kerbs" and "football tennis". We also used to join the girls in playing hopscotch (aka "beds" - nothing saucy missus!) with a chalked out grid and a shoe polish tin full of muck or stones. It was indeed a bit girly but I was confident in my masculinity at an early age. I drew the line at skipping though regardless of Ali and Cooper engaging in that sort of carry on! :)

Another game we played was to hit the lamp post

"Pole to pole" we used to call it. It was like one of those games of "football" that they play in some English villages which involves that magical combination of skill with a ball and faction fighting. Excellent stuff!

Goal to goal would have been our usual football match....made it easier to not dispute goals as the pillars of drives were the goal posts....reduced to fighting to only decide if the ball was over the height of the pillars.
You always picked 2 gates that you were pretty confident there was noone in the house.
We used also play a form of baseball, but with a football rolled to you and you had to kick it. Then the bases were 4 driveway pillars.
Whenever I am in my Moms nowadays I look out at a car whizzing up and down every 5 mins and think how you would find it so hard to do it now. Back then, the only issue was between 5 and 6 when the Dads would be arriving home in the cars!

Re: ..Ball games an Offence on Irish Roads

Dunno if it`s an offence or not.

Just hope not as I came across a coupla games of road bowls in my time, once in Co Cork, and another time in Co Louth near Termonfeckin. It`s like the boules game played in France-lots of `aul fellas` hangin`about and somone throwing a ball and the rest of them following along the road after it. At least that was my impression of it.

Seems it`s an old Irish tradition.

Worth stopping the traffic for I reckon though it would be interesting to hear what the law has to say about that.

Marple

Back