Playground surfaces

paulocon

Hi,

Am clearing part of the garden off as a play area for the kids (swing, slide etc).

Anyone any suggestions of a good surface to use? (Want to remove the grass but keep with something safe).

The area in question is on a bit of a slope so it may narrow my choices.

wouldn't grass be as good as anything, unless you are willing to put down the black rubbery stuff you see in Corporation Playgrounds?

Cats love sand for doing their business in. I'd say they wouldn't be too adverse to the bark either. Might not be the best job with kids around.

Rebecca

legend99,

yep, grass is fine.
my problem is that i've got too much of the stuff and spend a day each weekend mowing it. Trying to get something a bit more low-maintenance.

Bark sounded great until I remembered that next-door's cat liked using the bark in the flower beds as a toilet...

Back to the drawing board then...

cover the area with the sheets of that weed control fabric perhaps??? But I guess the ground underneath without any vegetation would be as hard as concrete nearly in the summer

Your local County Council might be able to give you some advice on the type of surfaces they use in their playgrounds. A quick scoot around Google would indicate that these surfaces appear quite expensive.

Could you get "dwarf" grass or something like that?, like most things there are loads of varieties of grass so dont have the silage variety growing in your lawn.

Or buy a goat or sheep etc, beware the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language though

Cheers everyone,

Some great suggestions there (including the goat!).
Have sent off a few emails for info and prices and will decide what to do then.

Back