Planning permission timeline

Redlad

I am thinking about building a porch on the front of the house and i think i need planning permission. How long would it take from applying to actually starting the build
Thanks

Observations is 4 weeks, so the council will wait until after that period to look at your application. Once you have permission, you have to wait a further 4 weeks, which is currently extended to 56 days. The application itself can take a number of months depending on the quality of the application. If they have to come back to you for additional information, expect it to take much longer.

Thanks for the reply
Do i need plans drawn up to apply for planning permission if not what sort of information will they look for instead

Last edited:
The info posted above is incorrect.
From the day you lodge a planning application, call it Day 1.
Public notice period is 5 weeks from day 1. The site notice must be up for this period.
3 weeks after this you get a decision (8 weeks from day 1).

Then there’s a 4 week appeal period.
then your final grant is processed and sent out.
Once you have the final grant you can lodge a commencement notice giving the building control authority 2 weeks notice that you will be starting the build.
The C19 56 day add on has now lapsed and is not in play anymore.
You will need a full suite of plans, maps, newspaper notice etc

Assuming the porch requires planning. Are you going over the exempted limits?

Reactions: Leo
It says not more than 2sqm in floor area
Is that internal or external because the inside floor area of the porch would be just under 2sqm

The wall with the front door on it is recessed back from the rest of the house and I want to build out a small porch with a hip roof which would be less 2sqm.But does the original porch count towards the sqm of the house as it is or would count towards the extension which would put it over 2sqm

Last edited:
The wall with the front door on it is recessed back from the rest of the house and I want to build out a small porch with a hip roof which would be less 2sqm.But does the original porch count towards the sqm of the house as it is or would count towards the extension which would put it over 2sqm

Yes,the area behind the front wall counts towards the 2 Sq. M as it’s an increase over the original build of the house.

It says not more than 2sqm in floor area
Is that internal or external because the inside floor area of the porch would be just under 2sqm
You are talking about 2 separate things.
The 2 Sq. M area I’d for exempted development. You can do the porch without planning.
If your applying for planning for bigger then the 2Sq. M rule is ignored and you can build what you get planning for.

Back