Planning permission required to convert flat roof to pitched

Chris2014

Hi

I bought a house that has a two storey extension with a flat roof.

The engineer recommends to convert the second storey flat roof into a pitched roof by extending the existing pitched roof.

Is planning required for this?

Thanks

Yes is my opinion.
As the pitched roof would breach the exempted regulations.

Ok so that would imply that if someone was building a two storey extension that was within the rules of planning exemption their only option is a flat roof. That would make sense why they used a flat roof alright.

Is there any way of getting a pitched roof without the planning in that situation i wonder.

Ok so that would imply that if someone was building a two storey extension that was within the rules of planning exemption their only option is a flat roof. That would make sense why they used a flat roof alright.

Is there any way of getting a pitched roof without the planning in that situation i wonder.

True, as in order to be exempt the roof has to be below eaves level.
You also have other exemption limits for 2 storey, such as the floor area and distance to boundaries, so hopefully these have been adhered to.

To answer the question, no there's no other way to get a pitched roof other than go through the planning process. Should be a straight forward process. Where are you based?

You could lodge a Section 5 application to the council and they will tell you officially if you require planning or not.

Back