Planning Permission on site when already own a house

what about transferring the house into my name and getting wife to apply for planning on her own? any point in that?

In Cork they ask if you've ever owned property on the Supplementary Application Forms. I'd be surprised if they didn't do something similar in other LA's.

Wouldn't they still question why she needed to build a new house when she already is living in the marital home? It's not as if there is any genuine need here which is what the authorities will be looking at.

Slightly off topic but there seem to be a lot of posters on this thread with experience of planning around the country.
I would be interested to know what people's experience is with regards to sites with existing old/derelict dwellings on them. Is the presence of such a dwelling a guarantee of planning permission? does it obviate the need to demonstrate a housing need in the area?
Just wondering if trawling the countryside for derelicts is the way to go??

bb12 said:
No, you wouldn't get permission. They'll find out from the land registry that you're not a first time buyer/builder. Happened to a friend of mine and she was told by the planners to basically forget it.

You don't need to be a first time buyer/builder to qualify for local needs. You just need to satisfy the requirement to have a need for housing i.e. not currently own property anywhere else. So the OP could, in theory, sell existing house and rent or stay with relatives while building.

lfcjfc:

It does not guarantee Planning:
Traffic considerations, environmental impact, design of the dwelling can all cause refusal. It *should* obviate the need for local housing need and furthermore allow for a development of some kind on the site. (That said, the last 2 applications I've dealt with derelict properties, the LA has asked for supplementary application forms to prove housing need. These are both being queried at the moment.)

Sites with derelict houses have a premium on them for this reason.

Thank you all for your advice - not sure whether I should be optimistic or depressed!

I hate the random nature of this - as superman pointed out, about 50% of cases similar to mine get approved, and I know of many home-owners who have been approved for planning without any questions asked about their current living situations - why is that?

Anyway, I'm a rubbish liar so I'm just going to hope for the best - we have the plans drawn up and are going to submit them this week. Will let you know how we get on anf thank you again for your advice - much appreciated!

Hi

I am in a similar situation. I own a house within the city boundary and want to apply for planning permission in the area I am from very close to my parents. My architect advised that if I was questioned on the house in town to say it is rented out. He is doing the same for himself and so far has no problems.
He said that it is not stated anywhere that you cannot own another house - Don't think you should quote me on this though.

thanks Emily

would that not suggest that you don't have a "need" for a house, if you can afford to rent out the one you own?

best of luck with it - when do you submit your plans?

Interesting post as I may soon be in the same boat. My wife and myself are currently living in Dublin –we, along with the bank, own our house and are hoping to move to Co. Wexford with our 3 young kids. My wife is originally from Wexford and is being given a ¾ acre site by my mother-in-law on which to build – she lives on her own in the country and is getting on a bit - the site is beside her house. We fully intend to finance the build by selling the house in Dublin (we could not afford this otherwise) but do not want to sell the place until we have full planning permission in place. I’ve been reading on this and other threads that if you own a house you may not get planning permission approved. Would that apply in this case when we are moving from Dublin to Wexford?

Yes, its also a test of whether you are long term committed to Wexford so selling has that effect on planning if you will , they would be sceptical if you kept your bolthole in Dublin.

It also depends on how difficult your wifes are is, wexford would have some difficult and some easy areas for planning like all counties, its not a one size fits all thing....except in Wickila I'd say :p

You may as well sell high if you are going anyway, I'd also say building in wexford will be very cheap once the bubble bursts .

Hi 2Pack

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed also from the planning application form (see below) that you are asked if you would commit to permanent residency in the house for 7 years if planning is approved and also if you would agree not to develop further sites on the land.
I'd have no problem with this whatsoever as I plan to stay in Wexford for good but would be slow to sell the house in Dublin until planning is granted. Otherwise we could potentially be stuck in property "limbo" which would leave us a) without a roof that we own over our heads which is real peace-of-mind when you've 3 kids below school going age and b) leave us at a financial disadvantage in that we could be forced down the line to buy a house in a market that has advanced further rather than build in the meantime.

I would rather a clause along the lines of "Would you agree to sell your existing PPR in the event of planning being granted." and if you say yes an then renege on that then planning may be revoked.

From the planning application form:
Indicate if, in the event of a Grant of Permission, you would be willing to accept an Occupancy Condition restricting the first occupancy of the proposed house for a period of 7 years, as a place of permanent residence to yourself and other members of your immediate family only: Yes p No p
(13) Indicate if, in the event of a grant of Permission, the landowner would be willing to enter into a formal agreement for a period of 7 years NOT to develop further sites? If yes, submit letter of consent from landowner and a map showing extent of the entire landholding:

DeBarr said:
I would rather a clause along the lines of "Would you agree to sell your existing PPR in the event of planning being granted." and if you say yes an then renege on that then planning may be revoked.
I fully agree with you on that linkage, at least in principle. I would even fine you €100 for every day you fail to sell it :D after date xxx

The planners in Wexford may be straightforward and honest but the interpretation of Housing Need is different everywhere in the country and even within a county depending on subzoning . On the other hand the planners could be the lying incompetent scum spawn of the devil like the ones I and my neighbours have dealt with in Galway .

You may take it from what I have seen that the planners will normally not give a flying damn about an elderly person who would like their daughter to live next door and to be on hand to bring them to the shop and church on a Sunday .

You will have a no resale (enurement clause) for 7 years, mine is 15 but thats not a problem with me . Wexford ask if you mind, Galway could slap a lifetime enurement on you at a whim....or a 15 year or a 12 or a 10 or none , all utterly arbitrary in my experience.

I agree with you completely, DeBarr and 2Pack - and likewise,I have no intention of keeping my current home if I get planning permission. one mortgage is enough of a headache. Your final comment, "all utterly artitrary in my experience" is very true too. We have been talking with people in our local area who have had no problem getting planning despite owning property nearby, and then others who got rejected straight away...mmm.

On another point, would anyone be able to tell me the minimum sight lines needed from your entrance - it's a 60km speed zone, on edge of town - am i right in believing 90m is sufficient? Or does it vary from different LAs?

I thought 60kph was normally restricted where 50kph is not . A 60kph on a national road is off limits . On a regional road it depends on the local authority engineers and other stuff.

Shared entrances are also a total non non . Does yer ma in law have 2 gates handy :D ???

2Pack said:
I thought 60kph was normally restricted where 50kph is not . A 60kph on a national road is off limits . On a regional road it depends on the local authority engineers and other stuff.

Shared entrances are also a total non non . Does yer ma in law have 2 gates handy :D ???

hi 2Pack

Would you mind clarifying this for me (I thought 60kph was normally restricted)? thanks - I am on a regional road, about 200 metres from where the 50km ends - we are hoping to use an agricultural entrance that is rarely used - uncle is retired farmer who keeps a few cattle and the entrance would be used about four / five times a year, if even

No hard and fast rules except that the slower it is then the easier it is to get planning permission. But you have an existing gate 'handy' which is a help . Opening a new entrance onto certain roads may be expressly prohibited.

You have read your local county development plan and the local area plan I trust. The broad rules are always in there on paper .

The planning 'vocabulary' is different from county to county as well :D

A Schedule D in Wexford could be an Area Objective 3 in Clare and a Note 2b clause in Donegal. Thats why we non Wexfordians cannot be any more specific . Sorry.

You really must research this properly and get someone in the area who was thru the system under the current county development plan to clarify it for you. Some councillors or TDs office staff are good at explaining mainly because they understand it , lots of them are only total gobsheens who will not and cannot explain anything but you should understand the important bits yourself in case you shoot yourself in the foot .

If you don't want to understand then get an agent to do the lot for you , plans/applications/forms dealings with officials .

Back