Planning: Advertising requirements

billythefish

Hello all. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

I'm wondering why someone might have to place a planning notice in a national newspaper as opposed to a regional/local newspaper.

Thanks

Billy

I'm wondering why someone might have to place a planning notice in a national newspaper as opposed to a regional/local newspaper.

Personal choice really. (Though national newspapers are more expensive to place an ad - they are printed "daily" so if time is an important factor one mught use one)
Each Planning Authority has a list of approved local & national newspapers. The public notice must be in one of these approved newspapers.

A Site notice must also be erected on site.

Hello all. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

Thanks

Billy

This was a thorny issue when the lists of approved newspapers were first published.
One issue is/was the giving of notice and havign enough local circulation.
Some local papers simply aren't published that often, maybe twice a week.
Some national papers are read more widely than the local papers.

The converse may be true and I remember having an argument with the Senior Administrative Officer in Wexford because WCC wouldn't accept an ad placed in the Examiner [formerly The Cork Examiner newspaper] because it wasn't on their list.
Several calls to the Editor of the Examiner as well as other people and various bodies had the list updated in a couple of months.
The moral of the story, as RKQ suggests, is - check the local list.

FWIW

ONQ.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Any ideas where I could get my hands on this list of approved newspapers?

Hi Billy

The following are possible sources:

• The Council website should have a list
  • A planning pack may have a copy - check its current.
  • The wall behind the planning counter in the Council offices may display a list.
  • A conversation by phone with the planning department will confirm the papers on the current list.

HTH

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Back