Plan to shift loss-making trackers on talks agenda

MentalNote

This would hopefully ease the burden on SVR customers. Could it have any impact on tracker customers?

[broken link removed]

Don't think the bank is going b charging svr customers any less , coz it has nothing to gain by so , of course some negotiation should be done with trackers to clear early, but probably won't

With the loss making trackers off the books, they'd surely lower the svr wouldn't they?

With the loss making trackers off the books, they'd surely lower the svr wouldn't they?

So at the very moment where you have the chance to finally setup your business more sustainable you then want to lower the SVR to immediately make your business unsustainable again?
Doesn't make any sense to me.

They don't have to lower the rates because:

They don't need to be competitive or try to keep customers loyal because nearly all of them are tied to them have no chance of changing that.
No other banks are offering transfers, the country is in negative equity and a lot of the SVR's are in arrears.
They have the SVR customer tied over a barrel big time.

Permanently Tied Struggling Borrowers

Last edited:
Why help them so.... They can't just take take take..

If you read your mortgage contract, you will find several clauses that allow them to do what they like, whenever they like for as long as they like.

They may adjust the rate and write to you telling you so.
My favourite one is - Clause 12.4.17 (j) any other matters which PTSB considers appropriate.

Talk about a get out of jail free card or what?

newirishman said:
So at the very moment where you have the chance to finally setup your business more sustainable you then want to lower the SVR to immediately make your business unsustainable again?
Doesn't make any sense to me.
Reducing the SVR would reduce the potential profits, but that doesn't mean PTSB would reduce them to a loss making level, obviously. Also, uncompetitive rates are hardly the model of sustainable business in the longer term.

But will the government see sense? At the rate the banks are being amalgamated, it will be one bank left! Hardly competition?
Reducing rates might ease the suffering of the SVR customers but will they since Brendan pointed out in a key post somewhere that they are making money on those loan but losing a fortune on the trackers. Cut the trackers and maybe they have a chance?

I caught a quick glimpse of mondays indo and according to them the decision to come at the end of april on what was to happen with the bank will now be extended ( surprise surprise )

so any svr customers will be left in limbo . I only got a glance so i can't speak on the full article but anyone that can enlighten us on this article feel free